Mission & History
The mission of the Loomis Communities is to enrich the lives of seniors by providing a continuum of high quality services which promote independence and meet the changing needs of people throughout the aging process.
During the 1890s a group of women in Holyoke decided to do “something of permanent good for their city.” As attention was called to their older friends with no permanent abiding place, they came to the decision that a home for aged people would best serve their city and prove a “blessing to the homeless.”
Chartered in 1902, the Holyoke Home for Aged People opened in March 1911 on two acres of land donated by William Loomis. In 1969 the name of the organization was changed to Loomis House to reflect its popular name in the community.
In 1981 Loomis House moved to its present location at 298 Jarvis Avenue upon construction of the first Continuing Care Retirement Community in Massachusetts, offering independent and assisted living as well as a skilled nursing facility. The Nursing Center underwent expansions in 1989 and in 2003; and there was a 1994 expansion to independent and assisted living.
In 1988 the organization acquired a 27-acre Christmas tree farm four miles away in South Hadley. That property became Loomis Village, developed in phases which opened in 1992, 1996, and 2004 respectively. Loomis Village has villas, cottages, indpendent living apartments, and assisted living apartments.
In 1999 Loomis Communities affiliated with Applewood, a 103-unit non-profit continuing care retirement community, located among the apple orchards in South Amherst.
Reeds Landing, the newest member of the family, was acquired in 2009. Opened in 1995, Reeds Landing in Springfield is now the largest of the four Loomis Communities.