Loomis Lakeside at Reeds Landing Upcoming Events
With so much to do, how do Loomis Lakeside at Reeds Landing residents stay informed about the day's events? That's easy. They simply turn on their televisions to the Loomis Lakeside at Reeds Landing channel to see today's announcements at Loomis Lakeside at Reeds Landing.
All events, unless otherwise noted take place at :
Loomis Lakeside at Reeds Landing
807 Wilbraham Road
Springfield, MA 01109
For additional information please call Marketing at: (413) 355-5803
October 2016 Highlights
Travelogue with Amy Dane- French Art in Springfield (MA) & Paris
- Monday October 3, 2016 7:00pm Longfellow Room
- What did French art look like before the Impressionists hit the scene? Discover 150 years of French treasures from Springfield’s Michele & Donald D’Amour Museum of Fine Arts. Comparisons will be between holdings in this fine collection and examples in Parisian museums before we “hit the streets” and enter museums in the City of Lights via a slide show set to catchy French tunes.
Entertainment with Fred Marion & Dan Kane
- Friday October 7, 2016 Longfellow Room 7:00pm
- Two of our areas most popular entertainers will come together to bring us a very exciting show!
Pianist Ethan Stone
- Friday October 14, 2016 Longfellow Room 7:00pm
- Ethan Stone is from Athol, Massachusetts. He attended Berkley College of Music in Boston, where he earned a Bachelor’s Degree in Jazz Composition. Ethan has performed throughout Europe, the USA, and in Latin America. When entertaining in senior living facilities, he performs a combination of popular songs and jazz from the 1920’s through the 1950’s. His programs often include the music of George Gershwin, Hoagy Carmichael, Hammerstein and Kern, Rodgers and Hart, Duke Ellington, Antonio Carlos Jobim, Miles Davis, Nat King Cole, Henry Mancini, Louis Armstrong, Cole Porter, and more!!
Coffee with David Scruggs
- Wednesday October 26, 2016 2:00pm Longfellow Room
- Coffee with David Scruggs, The Looms Communities CEO offers coffee and updates!
Recurring Weekly Events
9:00 AM Chair Aerobics – A seated cardio workout, you can burn calories from a chair coached by our fitness trainer & Recreation Coordinator Cheryl Ruggirelli.
10:30 AM Writing Group meets - Short stories, memoirs, poems, a book…you choose what to write in this supportive, friendly environment offering peer reviews.
2:00 PM Current Events -Different subject matters are up for discussion. Share ideas and opinions without the need for agreement or answers!
4:15 PM - Prayer Group
8:30 AM Core Exercise- Core exercise focuses on the center of your body to help stabilize your core strengthening your back and abdominal muscles keeping you strong, helps to prevent injury, taught by Cheryl Ruggirelli.
7:00PM - Interfaith Service
10:00 AM Sit and Stretch with Bob - Resident Bob Smith and Springfield College graduate, coaches you through a work-out that makes your body feel good as you stretch, you become more flexible and this activity can give you quick energy.
3:00 PM Tai Chi - Instructed by Brian Kean of Total Care Acupuncture, this gentile form of exercise can help maintain strength, flexibility and balance.
8:30 AM Core Exercise- Core exercise focuses on the center of your body to help stabilize your core strengthening your back and abdominal muscles keeping you strong, helps to prevent injury the class is taught by Cheryl Ruggirelli.
9:45 AM Chair Yoga- Experience the benefits of gentle yoga from the comfort of your chair guided by Tara Rahkola.
1:00PM - Bocce
4:00PM - Bible Study
8:30 AM Men’s breakfast - Meet in Twain’s Café; enjoy a variety of breakfast foods and great company.
9:00 AM Chair Aerobics - A seated cardio workout, you can burn calories from a chair coached by our fitness trainer & Recreation Coordinator Cheryl Ruggirelli.
10:00AM - Bocce
12:00 PM Duplicate Bridge
4:00 PM Ping Pong
- Friday September 2, 2016 Presentation by Stephen Collins
- Actor Stephen Collins makes Shakespeare’s words come alive for us. From the evil machinations of Richard III, to the philosophical bantering of Falstaff, to the brilliant oratory of Brutus and Anthony, Collins brings Bards words to life.
- Friday September 9, 2016 Lunch Bunch
- Lunch bunch departs for lunch at Tony’s in Wilbraham.
- Friday September 9, 2016 Gary Landon Performs
- Gary Landon is a Honky-Tonk Piano man, this is a nickname that has followed Gary for over 20 years, Honkey-Tonk is a style that includes ragtime, swing and early jazz elements all rolled into a formal- yet lively performance.
- Tuesday September 13 & September 27- 2016, Philosophy club
- Different subject matters are up for discussion. Share ideas and opinions without the need for agreement or answers!
- Thursday September 15, 2016, Lecture “Healthy Living for your Brain and Body” Presented by Marcia McKenzie from the Alzheimer’s Association
- CJoin us to learn about the latest research providing insight into how to make lifestyle choices that may help keep your brain and body healthy as you age
- Friday September 23, 2016, Lady Bea Cruise
- Depart for the Lady Bea- for a cruise on the Connecticut River (space is limited).
- Friday September 30, 2016 Wine Appreciation
- This month’s theme is Oktoberfest – hosted by the residents of Loomis Lakeside at Reeds Landing.
- August 2, 2016; Art Group with Carol Gutherie
- Friday, August 5, 2016; Men’s Breakfast
- Friday, August 5, 2016; Depart for Retail Shopping Trip - 16 Acres Plaza & Dollar Tree, Springfield, MA
- Friday, August 5, 2016; Walking Club
- Friday, July 5, 2016; Entertainment Celtic Duo:
- Come listen to the solid rhythmic guitar, sweet and powerful fiddle, smooth lively vocals and harmonies, haunting penny whistle and bodhran.This duo smoothly blend their collective rock, classical, gypsy, folk and Celtic influences into high energy, heart throbbing, foot stomping mix.Let Rakish Paddy take you on a wild ride of the soul!
- Saturday, August6, 2016; Ping Pong
- Tuesday, August 92016; Art Group with Carol Gutherie
- Wednesday, August 10; Depart for Retail Shopping Trip –West Farms Mall
- Thursday, August 11, 2016;Smith Jewelers
- Jewelry cleaning and repairs!
- Friday, August 12, 2016; Depart Lunch Bunch – Judie’s
- Friday, August 12, 2016; Walking Club
- Saturday, August 13, 2016;Ping Pong
- Monday, August15, 2016; Community update meeting
- August, 15 2016; Entertainment – sing along with Verne McArthur
- Verne returns to Loomis Lakeside at Reeds Landing to offer more songs intended to move us toward our better selves and toward a better world—and have fun in the process! Through both performance and sing-along, Verne will explore songs from the past and present--and from different parts of the world, some well-known, some hidden gems; some serious, some funny but all are inspirational!
- Wednesday, August 17 2016; Ladies’ Breakfast
- Wednesday, August 17 2016; Take a ride on the Holyoke Merry-Go-Round
- An all Loomis Communities trip. Historian and author Jay Ducharme will give a short talk on the history of Holyoke’s Mountain Park and the Merry Go Round. Rides $1 each.
- Friday, August 19 2016;Depart for Atkins Retail Shopping Trip
- Saturday, August 20, 2016; Ping Pong
- Tuesday, August 23 2016; Art Group with Carol Gutherie
- Wednesday, August 24 2016; Depart for Quabbin Museum
- Friday, August 26 2016; Lecture: Tips for Dementia Friendly Communication
- Rachel Tierney, the speaker is a Member of the Dementia Friendly Community Initiative and also a resident of Loomis Village.As the disease progresses, the communication skills of a person with Alzheimer’s disease or another dementia will gradually decline.Anticipating these changes and knowing how to respond can help everyone communicate more comfortably and effectively.Participating in this discussion will provide you with tips for effective dementia friendly communication.
- Saturday, August27, 2016; Ping Pong
- Wednesday, August 31 2016; Depart for Roberto’s Northampton Lunch Bunch
- Friday, July 1, 2016; Men’s Breakfast
- Friday, July 1, 2016; Depart for Retail Shopping Trip - 16 Acres Plaza & Dollar Tree; Springfield, MA
- Friday, July 1, 2016;Walking Club
- Friday, July 1, 2016; Entertainment: Classical Piano Concert
- Gershwin, Bacharach and others.Audience members sometimes tell Archie they’ve never heard such wonderful playing.Partygoers recognize the emotional quality.Some just sit and listen.
- Saturday, July 2, 2016; Ping Pong
- Monday, July 4, 2016; Celebration and Cook Out
- Wednesday, July 6, 2016; >Ladies’ Breakfas
- Wednesday, July 6, 2016; Opera Nigh
- Thursday, July 7, 2016; Lecture:‘Discover the Secrets of a Brain Healthy Diet’ with Sodexo Dietician Phyllis Famularo
- Learn what foods to eat to improve cognitive functions.
- Friday, July 8, 2016; Depart Lunch Bunch – Public House; Sturbridge, MA
- Monday, July 11, 2016; Entertainment: ArtistTec Inc. with Bob Sparkman and Jerry Noble
- Bob and Jerry met at the home of mutual friends in 1995, neither sure what to expect from the other.One chorus of blues later, any misgivings sparked by their difference in age evaporated in the joy of making music together.
- Tuesday, July 12, 2016; Art Group with Carol Gutherie
- Wednesday, July 13, 2016; Depart for Retail Shopping Trip – The Promenade Shops at Evergreen Walk; South Windsor, CT
- Thursday, July 14, 2016; Lecture:‘Managing Stress’ with Genesis Rehabilitation
- oGenesis Rehabilitation facilitates this lecture where participants learn the different ways people react to stress and how one’s health is impacted.Relaxation techniques will be taught to help manage stress.
- Thursday, July 14, 2016; Smith Jewelers
- Jewelry cleaning and repairs!
- Friday, July 15, 2016; Depart for Museum Trip – Hartford Science Museum; Hartford, CT
- Friday, July 15, 2016; Walking Club
- Saturday, July 16, 2016; Ping Pong
- Monday, July 18, 2016; Community Update
- Wednesday, July 20, 2016; Ladies’ Breakfast
- Friday, July 22, 2016; Depart for Retail Shopping Trip – Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods; South Hadley, MA
- Friday, July 22, 2016; Walking Club
- Saturday, July 23, 2016; Ping Pong
- Tuesday, July 26, 2016; Art Group with Carol Gutherie
- Wednesday, July 27, 2016; Depart Lunch Bunch – Brunelle’s Marina – Dockside Restaurant; South Hadley, MA
- Thursday, July 28, 2016; Depart for Outdoor Concert – ‘Ritchie Mitnick’; West Springfield, MA
- Friday, July 29, 2016; Walking Club
- Friday, July 29, 2016; Annual Sangria Festiva
- oJoin residents for a white and red sangria tasting – their special recipes!Non-alcoholic beverages will also be available. Wear your craziest hat! Enjoy musical entertainment and chef-inspired appetizers. Fellowship and fun for all!
- Wednesday's, June 1 and 15, 2016; Ladies’ Breakfast
- Wednesday, June 1, 2016; Entertainment: Opera Night
- Friday's, June 3, 10, 17 and 24, 2016; Men's BreakfastM
- Friday, June 3, 2016; Depart for Retail Shopping Trip - 16 Acres Plaza & Dollar Tree; Springfield, MA
- Monday, June 6, 2016; ‘WANTED: WWII and Korean War Veterans - Honor Flight New England: An Informational Session’ with Chris Kozeck
- Honor Flight New England transports WWII and Korean War Veterans to see their Memorial in Washington, DC - at no cost. Join LLRL and Applewood residents as they learn more about this wonderful opportunity.
- Tuesday's, June 7, 14, 21 and 28, 2016; Art Group with Carol Gutherie
- Tuesday, June 7, 2016; Beading Class with Sandy
- Wednesday, June 8, 2016; Depart Lunch Bunch – Kaptain Jimmy’s; Agawam, MA
- Wednesday, June 8, 2016; Entertainment: Sea Chanty’s with Bob Zentz
- Bob, a prolific musician playing several dozen instruments, began performing professionally in his native Norfolk, VA in 1962. He represents America and its folk traditions far and wide. His repertoire of more than 2,000 songs is sure to delight!
- Thursday, June 9, 2016; Smith Jewelers
- Jewelry cleaning and repairs!
- Thursday, June 9, 2016; Lecture: ‘Managing Stress’
- Genesis Rehabilitation facilitates this lecture where participants learn the different ways people react to stress and how one’s health is impacted. Relaxation techniques will be taught to help manage stress
- Saturday, June 11, 2016; Depart for ‘Celebration of our Armed Forces’ at Springfield College; Springfield, MA
- Monday, June 13, 2016; Entertainment: ‘Music from Merengo’ with Joel Meginsky
- Springfield Symphony Orchestra member and retired Springfield music teacher, Joel plays a variety of musical instruments and offers an evening of fun for all!
- Tuesday, June 14, 2016; Entertainment: Bell Choir Concert
- The Assisted Living and Skilled Nursing Facility residents will perform a Bell Choir Concert, a show you won’t want to miss!
- Wednesday, June 15, 2016; Depart for Retail Shopping Trip - Lee Premium Outlets; Lee, MA
- Wednesday, June 15, 2016; Residents’ Association Meeting
- Thursday, June 16, 2016; Entertainment: Variety Show
- See your peers perform at the resident open mic!
- Friday, June 17, 2016; Depart Lunch Bunch – Center Square Grill; East Longmeadow, MA
- Sunday, June 19, 2016; Father’s Day Cookout
- Monday, June 20, 2016; Community Fair
- Join the community for games, food, entertainment and fun!
- Thursday, June 23, 2016; Lecture: ‘Computer Security’ presented by Go Geeks
- Learn how to safeguard your computer from threats.
- Thursday, June 23, 2016; Depart for Old Post Road Orchestra Concert ‘Broadway on Parade’; West Springfield, MA
- Friday, June 24, 2016; Depart for Retail Shopping Trip – Downtown Northampton; Northampton, MA
- Wednesday, June 29, 2016; Depart for Museum Trip – Beneski Museum; Amherst, MA
- Sunday, May 1, 2016; Depart for Wilbraham Men’s Glee Performance at St. Cecelia’s Church; Wilbraham, MA
- The Wilbraham Men's Glee Club consists of about 40 guys who enjoy singing a variety of music, from standards to classics to pop. The Glee Club currently is directed by Ray Drury and is accompanied by Marcia Jackson
- Tuesday, May 3, Wednesday, May 4 and Monday, May 9, 2016; Learning in Later Life – in partnership with Springfield Colleg
- ‘Around the World with Anush’ - Anush Dawidjan has now traveled to 187 of the 193 United Nations’ member countries. She will cover her recent adventure to Papua New Guinea (PNG) where she attended the annual Goroka Sing Sing Festival. She also stayed in 4 different villages in the Highlands and in the coastal area of PNG. This has been her most interesting trip and she has many stories and facinating photos to share.
- Wednesdays, May 4 and 18, 2016; Ladies’ Breakfast
- Thursday, May 5, 2016; Lecture: ‘Sustainability’ by Sodexo
- Everyone is looking for better ways to treat the earth and the food that it produces. The vast size of the supply chain and the practices that are in place are not all bad. The economic might of the United States means we can feed the majority of our people and those in many other countries with what we produce on large commercial farms. At the same time, it makes sense for us to consider increasing the use of local products as well as products that are grown in less traditional ways such as organic farms, urban farms, farmed seafood, etc. Sodexo has taken on an active role to find solutions to these issues. It does not happen overnight but they are working hard to listen to what their customers are looking for and what makes economic sense. Join us for a discussion of these issues and participate in an open forum to get answers to questions you may have about the food served in our community.
- Fridays, May 6, 13, 20 and 27 2016; Men’s Breakfast
- Friday, May 6, 2016; Depart for 16 Acres Shopping Trip; Springfield, MA
- Friday, May 6, 2016; Celebration of Life
- Join us as we celebrate the lives of Loomis Lakesides at Reeds Landing’s family and friends who passed in 2015. A ‘Memory Quilt’ has been handcrafted and will be on display.
- Friday, May 6, 2016; Depart for Springfield Symphony Orchestra Season Grand Finale; Springfield, MA
- Maestro Kevin Rhodes & the Springfield Symphony Orchestra proudly presents the 2015-2016 ‘Season Grand Finale’. An ode to the music of France, including Faure’s meditative and hauntingly beautiful Requiem (featuring the Springfield Symphony Chorus, and vocal soloists Dana Lynne Varga and John Salvi), and Saint-Saëns triumphant Symphony No. 3, with the talents of organist (and Longmeadow native) Griffin McMahon. What a grand way to conclude the 72nd season of beautiful music!
- Friday, May 6, 2016; Entertainment: Jimmy Mazz
- With 40 plus years of entertainment experience, and as the Headliner at the Superstar Theater at the Resorts International Hotel & Casino in Atlantic City, Jimmy Mazz truly understands how to entertain an audience. Take a musical Jazz ride through the decades and re-live all the great music!
- Sunday, May 8, 2016; Mother’s Day Brunch
- Wednesday, May 11, 2016; Depart for Kohl’s & Salvation Army Shopping Trip; Springfield, MA
- Wednesday, May 11, 2016; Springfield Photo Club
- The Springfield Photographic Society was founded in 1937 and is a photo club made up of people from the photographic novice to the professional, who share one thing in common - a love of photography. The club's activities include monthly programs, comprised of instruction and critiques. These programs are intended to entertain and educate our members in the art and science of photography. This first meeting of the month is the exhibition meeting for both digital and print entries
- Thursday, May 12, 2016; Lecture: ‘Managing Incontinence’
- This seminar is presented in a comfortable environment and will provide information on causes, management techniques, and practical tools to help one prepare for a doctor’s visit when experiencing symptoms.
- Friday, May 13, 2016; Depart Lunch Bunch - Salvatore’s Restaurant; Springfield, MA
- Friday, May 13, 2016; Learning in Later Life Spring Semester Wrap Party in partnership with Springfield College
- Celebrate the conclusion of the spring semester of learning and fellowship. Loomis Lakeside at Reeds Landing will host a fun afternoon with refreshments and activities. All Instructors and LLL members are welcome to attend.
- Saturday, May 14 and 21, 2016;Adult Coloring
- Monday, May 16, 2016; Entertainment: Wilbraham Women’s Club Choral Group
- Wednesday, May 18, 2016; Depart for Majestic Theater; West Springfield, MA
- ‘Breaking Up Is Hard To Do’ by Erik Jackson and Ben H. Winters - It's Labor Day Weekend in 1960. Marge and her stage-struck best friend Lois arrive at Esther's Paradise Resort in the Catskills on a vacation that was intended to be Marge's honeymoon — but the groom has left her at the altar. Lois does her best to console Marge and comes up with a plan to set her up with Del Delmonaco, the resort's handsome but self-obsessed singer who mistakenly assumes that Marge's father can get him on American Bandstand and make him the next teen heartthrob. Then there's Gabe, the geekish handyman and aspiring songwriter, always looking forlornly on — and of course Harvey, the Borscht Belt comic who for years has secretly carried a torch for the widowed Esther. ‘Breaking Up Is Hard To Do’ is a heartwarming throwback to a simpler time infused with great Neil Sedaka tunes.
- Thursday, May 19, 2016; The Loomis Communities’ Annual Spring Reception; Loomis Lakeside at Reeds Landing
- Honoring Carol Katz, The Loomis Communities’ former CEO and SHINE Volunteer.
Reservation and $35 per person will benefit The Loomis Communities’ skilled nursing centers at Loomis House and Loomis Lakeside at Reeds Landing.
Invitations available at the Front Desk
Last year over $47,000 was raised!
- Friday, May 20, 2016; Depart for Mt. Holyoke College Museum of Art; South Hadley, MA
- The Dancers of the Nightway; Ceremonial Imagery in Navajo Weaving’
For Navajo women, the act of weaving has a sacred dimension since, according to tradition, they learned their craft from a supernatural being named Spider Woman. In the distant past, they wove warm blankets for their personal use and, on occasion, for intertribal barter. In the 1880s, the completion of the Santa Fe Railroad and the arrival of Anglo traders on the recently established Navajo Reservation created a new market for their wool products and they began weaving rugs with complex geometric designs for the floors of Victorian homes. In the early twentieth century, some creative weavers were encouraged by traders to incorporate ceremonial imagery into their designs. Their results are lively and imaginative secular interpretations of ceremonial themes.
- Sunday, May 22, 2016; Depart for Majestic Theater; West Springfield, MA
- ‘Breaking Up Is Hard To Do’ by Erik Jackson and Ben H. Winters and featuring the songs of Neil Sedaka.
- Monday, May 23, 2016; ‘A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Pulpit’ with Eric Bascom
- Enjoy a live reading with Eric Bascom who will share a collection of his stories
- Wednesday, May 25, 2016; Depart Lunch Bunch – Saray II Turkish Restaurant; Springfield, MA
- Friday, May 27, 2016; Depart for Blue Back Square Shopping Trip; West Hartford, CT
- Cynthia Nazzaro and her Springfield College dance class will offer a dance demonstration and discussion of what her class has to offer.
- Wednesday, May 27, 2016; Springfield Photo Club
- This second meeting of the month is instructional.
- Friday, May 27, 2016; Wine Appreciation Social
- Monday, May 30, 2016; Memorial Day Cookout