Loomis Lakeside at Reeds Landing Upcoming Events
With so much to do, how do Loomis Lakeside at Reeds Landing residents stay informed about the day's events? That's easy. They simply turn on their televisions to the Loomis Lakeside at Reeds Landing channel to see today's announcements at Loomis Lakeside at Reeds Landing.
All events, unless otherwise noted take place at :
Loomis Lakeside at Reeds Landing
807 Wilbraham Road
Springfield, MA 01109
For additional information please call Marketing at: (413) 355-5803
May 2017 Highlights
Springfield College’s Learning in Later Life Program: The Life and Poetry of E.E. Cummings
- Thursday May 4th 2017; 10:30am -12:00 noon Longfellow Room
- Enjoy the life and poetry of E. E. Cummings (1894-1962) as Ed Dibble, a connoisseur of poetry, continues his series on American poets. Please contact Tina Kuselias at 413-355-5806 if you would like to join us.
Performance by Strings & Friends Concert ensemble
- Friday May 5th 2017; 3:30pm Longfellow Room
- The Strings & Friends music ensemble program is an after school program, which was developed as way to add more music into the lives of Wilbraham- Hamden elementary students. The program is funded by parents; over 120 middle school students participate in the ensemble. The students will performance classical, original and popular pieces. Please contact Tina Kuselias at 413-355-5806 if you would like to join us.
Performance by The Small Planet Dancers, a Middle Eastern belly dance troupe
- Sunday May 7th 2017; 2:00pm Longfellow Room
- Dances of South Africa and the Bollywood and classical styles of India as well as the fusion of flamenco and Middle Eastern influences dances that define Morocco. Please contact Tina Kuselias at 413-355-5806 if you would like to join us.
Performance by the Senior Concert Band of Western MA
- Monday May 15th; 2:00pm Longfellow Room
- Enjoy a program of show tunes, patriotic and classical music. Contact Tina Kuselias at 413-355-5806 to make a reservation. Please contact Tina Kuselias at 413-355-5806 if you would like to join us.
Lecture presented by Select Rehab
- Thursday May 18th 2017; 11:00am Longfellow Room
- Licensed Speech and Language Pathologist Lori Laughran, will discuss helpful tips for safe swallowing, and teach you how to identify swallowing issues as well as teach the different stages of swallowing. Come join us for a taste of different food consistencies which will be deliciously prepared. Please contact Tina Kuselias at 413-355-5806 if you would like to join us.
Wilbraham Women’s Coral Group performs
- Monday May 19th 2017; 7:00PM Longfellow Room
- Enjoy an evening of your favorite melodies performed by the Women’s Coral Group, under the direction of Ruth Carlson. Pianist Barbara Bennett provides the musical background. Please contact Tina Kuselias at 413-355-5806 if you would like to join us.
Recurring Weekly Events
9:00 AM Chair Aerobics – A seated cardio workout, you can burn calories from a chair coached by our fitness trainer & Recreation Coordinator Cheryl Ruggirelli.
10:30 AM Writing Group meets - Short stories, memoirs, poems, a book…you choose what to write in this supportive, friendly environment offering peer reviews.
2:00 PM Current Events -Different subject matters are up for discussion. Share ideas and opinions without the need for agreement or answers!
8:30 AM Core Exercise- Core exercise focuses on the center of your body to help stabilize your core strengthening your back and abdominal muscles keeping you strong, helps to prevent injury, taught by Cheryl Ruggirelli.
10:00 AM Sit and Stretch with Bob - Resident Bob Smith and Springfield College graduate, coaches you through a work-out that makes your body feel good as you stretch, you become more flexible and this activity can give you quick energy.
3:00 PM Tai Chi - Instructed by Brian Kean of Total Care Acupuncture, this gentile form of exercise can help maintain strength, flexibility and balance.
8:30 AM Core Exercise- Core exercise focuses on the center of your body to help stabilize your core strengthening your back and abdominal muscles keeping you strong, helps to prevent injury the class is taught by Cheryl Ruggirelli.
9:45 AM Chair Yoga- Experience the benefits of gentle yoga from the comfort of your chair guided by Tara Rahkola.
8:30 AM Men’s breakfast - Meet in Twain’s Café; enjoy a variety of breakfast foods and great company.
9:00 AM Chair Aerobics - A seated cardio workout, you can burn calories from a chair coached by our fitness trainer & Recreation Coordinator Cheryl Ruggirelli.
12:00 PM Duplicate Bridge
4:00 PM Ping Pong
April 2017 Highlights
- Monday April 3, 2017 Springfield College’s Learning in Later Life Program: “Has Memory Loss touched someone you love?”
- Come and learn from the Alzheimer’s Association about the National Clinical Drug trials for mild to moderate memory impairment that is being offered at Springfield Neurology Research Center. Call Tina Kuselias- 413-355-5806 if you would like to join us.
- Friday April 7th; Pianist Ethan Stone performs
- Ethan will perform a combination of popular songs and jazz from the 1920’s through the 1950’s. His program will include the music of George Gershwin, Hoagy Carmichael, Hammerstein and Kern, Rodgers and Hart, Duke Ellington, Antonio Carlos Jobim, Miles Davis, Nat King Cole, Henry Mancini, Louis Armstrong, Cole Porter, and more! Stone’s electric and enigmatic taste in music has earned him national and international recognition as an artist. Call Tina Kuselias at 413-355-5806 if you would like to join us.
- Thursday April 13, 2017; Lecture with Select Rehab: Tune Your Bodies, Tune Your Equipment!
- Calling all Walkers, Wheelchairs, Scooters, Canes and any other device that may need inspection or fine tuning including you! Select rehab can identify broken parts and/or make adjustments to your current devices for safety as well as test your strength, balance, endurance and assist you with eliminating pain... Let us get you back in action safely! Call Tina Kuselias at 413-355-5806 if you would like to join us.
- Wednesday April 15th & 26th; Kitchen Tours
- This is a tour of the Loomis Lakeside at Reeds Landing‘s kitchen! We are so excited to show off our cooking items, baking collection and storage! Michael Caliento, Executive Chef for Sodexo will be the guide. For over twenty years Sodexo, our culinary partner, has been serving residents in our dining room where “it is just like dining out” and offering meals in Twain’s Café where myriad options “taste just like home “. Space is limited. Please call Tina Kuselias at 413-355-5806 to make a reservation.
- Wednesday April 19th; Join us for coffee and updates with David Scruggs the Chief Executive Officer for The Loomis Communities.
- Mr Scruggs is highly regarded in the field of aging services for his knowledge and passionate commitment to quality living for older adults and the highest standards of governance and leadership for the organizations that serve them. To make a reservation contact JoAnne O’Neil at 314-355-5880.
- Saturday April 29th; Celebrate spring at Looms Lakeside at Reeds Landing’s open house
- Come visit our lovely retirement community situated on Lake Massoist. Experience a little taste of Loomis. Enjoy music performed by Kevin Dee, a guitarist, composer and vocalist, sample culinary offerings created by our Executive Chef Michael Caliento. View the photographs exhibited by the Springfield Photographic Society in our gallery. Tour our beautiful updated apartments. Please RSVO to Tina Kuselias at 413-355-5806 if you plan to join us. Valet parking will be available on the day of the event.
March 2017 Highlights
- Monday March 6, 2017; Sara the Fiddler performs
- Sarah Michal needs no introduction. For those of you who have not had the pleasure of listening to Sarah play the fiddle, let's just say you are in for a treat. The moment her bow touches the stings, Sarah’s passion for music is evident. Sarah combines her influences of classical, bluegrass, and Celtic music to create a unique style and sound. She has performed with numerous orchestras, bands and theater groups.
- Wednesday March 8 & 15, 2017; Kitchen Tours
- This is a tour of our kitchen! We are so excited to show off our cooking items, baking collection and storage! Tom Such of Sodexo, General Manager of Food Services, will be the guide. For over twenty years Sodexo, our culinary partner, has been serving residents in our dining room where “it is just like dining out” and offering meals in Twain’s Café where myriad options “taste like home “. Space is limited. Please call Tina Kuselias at 413-355-5803 to reserve your spot.
- Friday March 10, 2017; Folk duo with Rakish Paddy perform
- Come listen to the solid rhythmic guitar, sweet and powerful fiddle, smooth lively vocals and harmonies, haunting penny whistle and bodhran. This duo smoothly blend their collective rock, classical, gypsy, folk and Celtic influences into high energy, heart throbbing, foot stomping mix. Let Rakish Paddy take you on a wild ride for the soul!
- Wednesday March 22, 2017; How to Sell Your Home in a Competitive Market
- Carol Bright, a licensed broker for Keller Williams, has been helping families move since 1993. She will inform us about the local real estate markets and how to sell your home in today’s market. Joining Carol will be Sandi Lanigan, owner of Sandy Lanigan Interiors, who will give staging and decorating advice on how best to show you home for sale. Reservations are required; please call Tina Kuselias to reserve your spot at 413-355-5803.
- Thursday March 23, 2017; Learning in Later Life with Verne McArthur – Songs for a Better World
- Verne returns to Loomis Lakeside at Reeds Landing to offer more songs intended to move us toward our better selves and toward a better world—and have fun in the process! Through both performance and sing-along, Verne will explore songs from the past and present--and from different parts of the world, some well-known, some hidden gems; some serious, some funny but all are inspirational. Please call JoAnne O’Neil to reserve a spot at 413-355-5880.
February 2017 Highlights
- Friday February 3, 2017; Entertainment with Patty Carver – actress singer and composer
- Patty is a professional singer, actress and writer with international credits. She has performed in New York, Los Angeles and London and played in Regional, Stock and musical Dinner Theatres. Her favorites include, The Sound of Music, South Pacific, 7 Brides for 7 Brothers, Oklahoma, Damn Yankees and They’re Playing Our Song, just to name a few! She has written over 40 original musicals. Her musicals have featured many great performers such as Bea Arthur, Jack Klugman, Marla Gibbs, Ernest Borgnine and Brigitte Bardot.
- Saturday February 4,2017; Loomis Lakeside at Reeds Landing showcases its Chili
- Loomis Lakeside at Reeds Landing has entered the St. Cecilia’s Church CHILI FEST! Anticipation has been building as the Friends of Wilbraham Public Access, Inc. announced their Annual Free Chili Fest. The public is welcome to join in the family fun. The hours are from 11:00 AM-2:00 PM. Local professional chefs as well as the chefs from Loomis Lakeside at Reeds Landing will be competing for “The Peoples’ Choice Award.” Guests are invited to sample the different chili offerings and then vote for their favorite. ADMISSION IS FREE, and hot dogs may be purchased for a nominal charge. Some of the restaurants will have extra chili available for sale to take home.
- Thursday February 9, 2017; Lecture: Put the Fun In Functional
- What are those gadgets OT and PT use? Come have fun with Select Therapy, our on-site rehab center, and experience some of the cool devices used to help people live Independent- active lives. You will have an opportunity to try some of the adaptive equipment such as sock aid, reacher’s, specialized walkers, leg lifters, shoe horns, weighted utensils, specialized plates, and cups, hearing devices and, much more….
- Sunday February 26, 2017; Pianist Archie Richards entertains
- Archie’s classical repertoire includes works of Chopin, Rachmainoff, Beethoven, Mozart, and others. His songbooks selections include music of Cohan, Rogers, Gershwin, Bacharach, and others. A recording Archie made at Beethoven’s “Waldstein” Sanata was played on WCRB radio in Boston on a Sunday morning. Audience members tell Archie they’ve never experienced such wonderful playing.
- Tuesday February 28, 2017; Lunch and Learn
- Loomis Lakeside at Reeds Landing will host a resident’s panel. Learn what it is like to live in a retirement community- directly from our residents! Topics will cover resident life, activities and the residents association. Stay for lunch and join in on a tour. Reservations are required. Please RSVP to Tina Kuselias 413-355-5803 by February 24, 2017.