at Reeds Landing
With so much to do, how do Loomis Lakeside at Reeds Landing residents stay informed about the day's events? That's easy. They simply turn on
their televisions to the Loomis Lakeside at Reeds Landing channel to see today's announcements at Loomis Lakeside at Reeds Landing.
All events, unless otherwise noted take place at :
Loomis Lakeside at Reeds Landing
807 Wilbraham Road
Springfield, MA 01109
For additional information please call Marketing at: (413) 355-5803
August 2017 Highlights
Lecture by Select Rehabilitation Services: Strokes Strike Fast- so should you!
Thursday August 10, 2017; 11:00am Longfellow Room
Courtney Vander-Werff, Registered Physical Therapist and, Mary Thomas, certified occupational therapy assistant from Select Rehabilitation discuss how to identify signs & symptoms of a stroke and what to do if you or someone you know is having one.
“Bob & Gerry” entertain!
- Friday August 11, 2017; 2:00pm Longfellow Room
- Bob and Jerry met at the home of mutual friends in 1995, neither was sure what to expect from the other. One chorus of blues later, any misgivings sparked by the pair’s difference in age had evaporated in the joy of music making. Bob heard his first jazz record as a teenager in 1942 (it featured Muggsy Spanier with Rod Cless on clarinet). Bob was Inspired by those jazz luminaries, as well as the artistry of Louis Armstrong, Sidney Bechet, and the Condon Mob, he started jamming with contemporaries Dick Wellstood and Ed Hubble and has been making marvelous music ever since. Jerry’s Dad introduced him to the guitar and piano when he was five years old, and he quickly learned to play music of all styles. In addition to playing classical, jazz, and even good ol’ rock n’ roll, he is a prolific composer and arranger, and writes articles about music for the Springfield newspapers.
Creative Writers on Parade:
- Friday, August 11, 2017; 7:00pm Longfellow Room
- Come and listen to our talented resident writers as they showcase their work.
Viewing of the solar eclipse
- Monday August 21, 2017; 2:00pm- Location to be announced
- This will be the first solar eclipse in almost 40 years. While New England isn’t in the “path of totality,” the region will experience a significant partial eclipse. “This summer’s event is historic” reports the Springfield Republican. The height of the eclipse will occur at 2:43pm.Participants will receive a pair of viewing glasses.
Silent Movie Performance with Live Musical Accompaniment
- Monday August 21, 2017; 7:00pm- Longfellow Room
- Instead of having a spoken dialogue and background music synched to a film like you see today, silent films of the 20’s and 30’s had a particular style of sound accompanying the motion pictures. The earlier silent films were accompanied by a phonograph recording or, more commonly, live music, such as a guitarist or pianist. Richard Hughes will be our live performer, playing the piano to accompany a silent movie; his performance should be quite enjoyable, funny and educational.
Cottage tours: Tour spacious homes in lush surroundings
- Wednesday August 30, 2017; 10:00am to 12:00pm
- The cottages at Loomis Lakeside at Reeds Landing offer the space you need, in a community you will come to love. Nestled on 24 beautiful acres where the indoors and the outdoors come together, creating an exceptional lakeside community. Enjoy the retirement you deserve with the security of a full continuum of onsite health care. Visit us and see why our residents love the peaceful setting, the friendly staff and the carefree life at Loomis Lakeside at Reeds Landing. Light refreshments will be served.
Call 413- 355-5803 to reserve a seat for all programs
Recurring Weekly Events
9:00 AM Chair Aerobics – A seated cardio workout, you can burn calories from a chair coached by our fitness trainer & Recreation Coordinator
10:30 AM Writing Group meets - Short stories, memoirs, poems, a book…you choose what to write in this supportive, friendly environment offering
2:00 PM Current Events - Different subject matters are up for discussion. Share ideas and opinions without the need for agreement or answers!
8:30 AM Core Exercise - Core exercise focuses on the center of your body to help stabilize your core strengthening your back and abdominal
muscles keeping you strong, helps to prevent injury, taught by Cheryl Ruggirelli.
10:00 AM Sit and Stretch with Bob - Resident Bob Smith and Springfield College graduate, coaches you through a work-out that makes your body
feel good as you stretch, you become more flexible and this activity can give you quick energy.
3:00 PM Tai Chi - Instructed by Brian Kean of Total Care Acupuncture, this gentile form of exercise can help maintain strength, flexibility
8:30 AM Core Exercise- Core exercise focuses on the center of your body to help stabilize your core strengthening your back and abdominal muscles
keeping you strong, helps to prevent injury the class is taught by Cheryl Ruggirelli.
9:45 AM Chair Yoga- Experience the benefits of gentle yoga from the comfort of your chair guided by Tara Rahkola.
10:30 AM Coffee Social- Join residents in Twains Café for pasties and conversation
8:30 AM Men’s breakfast - Meet in Twain’s Café; enjoy a variety of breakfast foods and great company.
9:00 AM Chair Aerobics - A seated cardio workout, you can burn calories from a chair coached by our fitness trainer & Recreation Coordinator
12:00 PM Duplicate Bridge
4:00 PM Ping Pong
July 2017 Highlights
Friday, July 7th 2017; Honky Tonk Piano with Gary Landgren
Gary Landgren returns to Loomis Lakeside at Reeds Landing to share his musical talent and slap stick –humor. Gary began teaching himself piano when he
was 15. Over the years he has focused on learning the unique style of honky tonk piano. He always wanted to play the piano
and have folk’s sing-a-long. After 25 years, he has honed his “gig” which includes a bit of history, and a bit of humor, showing
off the features of his piano. Join us as we pull out the red carpet for him!
- Thursday July 13 2017; Lecture by Select Rehab: Watch your back
- Courtney Vander-Werff, Registered Physical Therapist and, Mary Thomas, certified occupational therapy assistant from Select Rehab
will show you how to take care of your back utilizing good body mechanics, ergonomics and posture.
- Friday, July 14 2017; Join resident Peter Courtney for an open house at our Resident Wood Shop
- Our workshop was established by a resident in 1998. His background was in Engineering. He established the shop at the age of 90
and worked on many projects daily until he was 95. The shop has a drill press, band saws, radial arm saw, chop saw, and plenty
of hand tools and sanders. New times are a beautiful JET woodworking lathe, a joiner/planer, and state of the art SAW STOP
professional table saw. The residents not only work on their own projects, but assist us by building backgrounds for resident
plays, crafts for the resident craft fairs, and building and repairing furniture for other residents and our community. (Space
is limited, to reserve a spot call 413- 355-5803)
- Monday July 17 2017; Performance by Vocalist Keir White
- Keir was born in Springfield, Massachusetts. He is the ninth child of a proud Polish/Irish family of twelve. Coming from such a
large family, Keir often found music to be an escape. Keir understands the power that music has over human emotion. Artists
that have had a tremendous influence on Keir include; Elton John, Billy Joel, Luther Vandross, Josh Gorban. Although many of
his influences are what is considered to be popular music; some of his earliest influences include; the legendary Louie Armstrong,
Mahalia Jackson and Nina Simone.
- Wednesday July 19 2017; Coffee with the Chief Executive Director- David Scruggs
- Join us for coffee and updates with our CEO David Scruggs. David has been a member of The Loomis team since 2013, his career serving older adults has spanned over two decades. He is very knowledgeable about senior living and open to questions and comments.
- Tuesday July 25, 2017; Loomis Lakeside at Reeds Landing New England Clam Bake
- Our annual BBQ will be held again this year on our patio overlooking Lake Massoist. It will be a classic New England Clam bake, with a bit of a twist, as created by our Executive Chef Michael Caliento. Enjoy great company and musical entertainment and tour our cottage and apartment homes. Complimentary valet parking will be available. Space is limed- so make a reservation soon!
June 2017 Highlights
- Thursday, June 1 2017; The Loomis Communities Annual Spring Reception
Rachel Tierney mobilized The Loomis Communities Community Outreach Committee to involve the South Hadley and Holyoke Councils
on Aging and Senior Centers, faith communities, business leaders, fire, and police, to organize a local ‘Dementia Friendly Communities’initiative.
Thanks to her vision, leadership and active participation, the group has held Communication Tips training for first responders,
bank managers, faith communities and clubs. The Loomis Communities honors Rachel for her lifelong passion of caring for
others including those living with mental illness, dementia or Alzheimer's disease, and their caregivers. Her vision continues
to spark and inspire. Reservation and $35 per person will benefit The Loomis Communities’ skilled nursing centers at Loomis
House and Loomis Lakeside at Reeds Landing.
Honored Guest: Rachel Tierney, PhD, RN, retired psychiatric-mental health Clinical
- Thursday, June 8th 2017; Lecture: ‘Stress Reduction’
- Learn ways to reduce stress through holistic and therapeutic approaches.
Guest Speaker: Erin Benjamin- Diaz, registered occupational therapist from Select Rehab
- Friday, June 9th 2017; Entertainment with Dan Kane and Fred Marion
- Dan Kane is a music impresario and very accomplished man. He has been a teacher in the Westfield Public School system for over
33 years. He is a church organist, a music teacher and coach organizer, director, producer and conductor. His Dan Kane singers
performed for President Bill Clinton and to sold out crowds at Symphony Hall and the MassMutual Center and he has recorded
dozens of CD’s with the area’s best musicians. Dan will be performing with Fred Marion. Fred cultivated his silky-smooth vocals
in his church and school choirs in his hometown of Holyoke MA. He studied voice at the Hartford Conservatory and Berklee College
of music. You will be wowed by his amazing talent.
- Friday, June 16th; Musical performance by Skylarkz
- Vocalist Sarah Clay and pianist Nick Kachulis are Skylarkz, a musical duo presenting Great American Masters of
Song, a music and educational program. Drawing on their backgrounds as educators and performers, Clay and Kachulis perform
and discuss music in a variety of styles featuring Jazz and Classic 20th Century American songs by George Gershwin, Duke Ellington,
Cole Porter, Rodgers and Hart and many others.
May 2017 Highlights
- Thursday May 4th 2017; Springfield College’s Learning in Later Life Program: The Life and Poetry of E.E. Cummings
- Enjoy the life and poetry of E. E. Cummings (1894-1962) as Ed Dibble, a connoisseur of poetry, continues his series on American
poets. Please contact Tina Kuselias at 413-355-5806 if you would like to join us.
- Friday May 5th 2017; Performance by Strings & Friends Concert ensemble
- The Strings & Friends music ensemble program is an after school program, which was developed as way to add more music into the
lives of Wilbraham- Hamden elementary students. The program is funded by parents; over 120 middle school students participate
in the ensemble. The students will performance classical, original and popular pieces. Please contact Tina Kuselias at 413-355-5806
if you would like to join us.
- Sunday May 7th 2017; Performance by The Small Planet Dancers, a Middle Eastern belly dance troupe
- Dances of South Africa and the Bollywood and classical styles of India as well as the fusion of flamenco and Middle Eastern influences
dances that define Morocco. Please contact Tina Kuselias at 413-355-5806 if you would like to join us.
- Monday May 15th; Performance by the Senior Concert Band of Western MA
- Enjoy a program of show tunes, patriotic and classical music. Contact Tina Kuselias at 413-355-5806 to make a reservation. Please
contact Tina Kuselias at 413-355-5806 if you would like to join us.
- Thursday May 18th 2017; Lecture presented by Select Rehab
- Licensed Speech and Language Pathologist Lori Laughran, will discuss helpful tips for safe swallowing, and teach you how to identify
swallowing issues as well as teach the different stages of swallowing. Come join us for a taste of different food consistencies
which will be deliciously prepared. Please contact Tina Kuselias at 413-355-5806 if you would like to join us.
- Monday May 19th 2017; Wilbraham Women’s Coral Group performs
- Enjoy an evening of your favorite melodies performed by the Women’s Coral Group, under the direction of Ruth Carlson. Pianist Barbara
Bennett provides the musical background. Please contact Tina Kuselias at 413-355-5806 if you would like to join us.