With so much to do, how do Loomis Village residents stay informed about the day's events? That's easy. Residents simply turn on their televisions
to the Loomis Village channel to see today's announcements at Loomis Village.
All activities (unless otherwise noted) take place at:
20 Bayon Drive
South Hadley, MA 01075
Call (413) 588-5102 for more information
Ongoing Fitness and Wellness Programs at Loomis Village
Residents enjoy morning and afternoon group exercises, osteo exercise, tai chi, movement group, swimming aqua classes in our 4-season indoor
pool, self-directed workouts in the fitness room and pool, Mind Aerobics, monthly wellness chat with our Health Services Director, Lisa
Ball. Keeping our bodies and minds in tune.
August 2017 Highlights
“Journeys from Rwanda to UMASS” presented by Favorite Iradukunda, Nursing Ph.D. candidate Fourth of July
- Thursday, August 3, 2017, 1:30pm, Auditorium
On the 3rd, Favorite Iradukunda, Nursing PhD candidate from Rwanda, is the second speaker in our series “Journeys from Africa to UMASS,” coordinated by Rachel Tierney.
“Ice Cream Social” with Laurie Festa
- “Ice Cream Social” with Laurie Festa
- Neighbors and friends gather for a leisurely afternoon social with music and refreshments.
“Musical program” featuring Rodgers and Hammerstein performed by Carol Wrobleski and guitarist Zack Danziger
- Tuesday, August 8, 2017; 2:30 pm; Auditorium
- On the 8th guitarist Zack Danziger and vocalist Carol Wrobleski will entertain us with the music of Rodgers and Hammerstein.
“Celtic Christianity” Pilgrimage by Reverend Tanya Wallace
- Thursday, August 10, 2017; 2:30pm, Auditorium
- On the 10th Rev. Tanya Wallace, Rector at All Saints' Episcopal Church, will present her slide show exploring her “Celtic Christianity” pilgrimage through Northern Europe during her Sabbatical year.
The Loomis Village -- Annual Lobsterfest
- Friday, August 11, 2017; Auditorium and Main Dining Room
- Residents, families, wait list members, and guests gather for a festive and enjoyable evening of delicious classic New England cuisine prepared by Executive Chef Lynanne Pease and her talented staff .
“Journeys from Rwanda to UMASS” presented byKorka Sall, in Literature, Ph.D. candidate
- Tuesday, August 22 , 2017, 2:00pm, Auditorium
- On the 22nd, Korka Sall, PhD candidate in Literature from Rwanda, is the final speaker in our series “Journeys from Africa to UMASS,” coordinated by Rachel Tierney.
- Wednesday, August 23, 2017; 12:00pm; Gardenside Garden
- Grillin’ in the Garden, outdoor lunch in the garden.
“Getting to Know You Series ”
- Thursday, August 24, 2017; 3:00pm; Auditorium
“Monthly Resident Birthday Party” with Melita Brown
- Friday, August 25, 2017; 2:30pm; Auditorium
- The monthly celebrations of residents’ birthdays with a musical performance.
“Olde World Café” performed by the Third String Trio
- Tuesday, August 29, 2017; 2:30pm; Auditorium
- On the 29th we are honored to welcome back The Third String Trio. These accomplished musicians all play other instruments professionally. Old World Café music is their outlet for play! Accordion, guitar, and mandolin are among the instruments you can expect to hear at this delightful performance.
Loomis Village Sponsored Trips
August 2, 2017; Wednesday, 11:15 am, our trip plans to celebrate Springfield’s Art District with a stop to hear local musicians perform on painted pianos. Afterwards we will head for lunch at Red Rose Pizza.
August 5, 2017; Saturday, 8:30 am, on August 5th, Applewood and Loomis residents head to Tanglewood for a rehearsal, followed by lunch at The Red Lion Inn. It is a Mozart, Schumann program featuring cellist Yo Yo Ma, conducted by David Zinmanon.
August 12, 2017; Saturday, 2:30 – 5:00pm; Loomis Village residents head back to Springfield again for Jazz and Roots Festival on the 12th. Outdoor performers, free admission.
August 17, 2017; Thursday, 10:00 am, Memorial Hall, Deerfield, MA
Loomis Village Resident Facilitated Events
- The Writer’s Group
- Theater Group
- Omni Book Club
- Poetry Group
- Meditation Group
- Coloring for Adults
- Loomis Village Chorale Group
- Current Issues
- Saturday Night at the Movies and Sunday Movie and Opera Matinees
- Play Reading Group
- Bridge and Games
- Social Hour – Tues and Fri
- Better Together Group
- Hymn Sing
- Mystery Ride
Challenging Times Discussion Group - Challenging Times: A Mindful Centered Response: a resident - led gathering “to explore ways to prepare
ourselves emotionally and spiritually for our nation’s uncertain future.” A small group of residents who met in December would like to
share their group’s reflective experience.
Health, Wellness, and Fitness
Loomis Village has a fully equipped fitness room and a 4 seasons pool.
NEW PROGRAM – Meditation Group – Saturdays at 10:00 am
‘Exercise Class Mondays (DVD), Tuesday, Thursday and Fridays (Facilitated by Brent Cappello) at 9:00 am
‘Osteo Exercise’ Wednesday at 9:30 am – offered by R.S.V.P. volunteers
‘Movement Group’ Monday and Thursday 11:30 m - Performed from a seated position, a great workout for all fitness levels! Facilitated by Brent
‘Tai Chi’ Tuesdays; at 11:00am
Resident ‘Meditation Group’
‘Monthly Wellness Chat’ with Lisa Ball, Health Services Director
‘Caregivers Support Group’ – monthly
‘Parkinson’s Support Group’ – led by Lisa Ball, Health Services Director
‘Aqua Fitness with Brent” Monday 9:00am, and Thursdays at 9:30 am
‘Aqua Walking Group with Brent’ – every Wednesday
‘Fitness Center Orientation’ – every Tuesday 11:00am
‘Mind Aerobics’ – every other Wednesday 1:00pm
‘Fully equipped Fitness Room and 4 season pool’
Art Appreciation Video
Hymnal Singing Group
The Loomis Village Chorale Group
Resident Theater Group - seasonal
- Thursday, July 6, 2017, Journeys from Africa to UMASS” presented by Nellie Mchenga, Ph.D.
On July 6 Nellie Mchenga, a nursing PHD candidate from Malawi, is the first speaker in our series “Journeys from Africa to UMASS,” coordinated by Rachel
- Friday, July, 7, 2017; Cello Concert” with vocal accompaniment”, performed by cellist Ignacy Gaydamovich and his parents
- On July 7th Loomis favorite, cellist, Ignacy Gaydamovich returns with a Romantic recital featuring his father on piano, and his
mother performing vocals. You will not want to miss this! .
- Monday, July 10, 2017; Eclipses” presented by Professor Stephen Schneider, UMASS, Dept. of Astronomy
- On the 10th UMASS Astronomy Professor Stephen Schneider will present a slide show and talk on Eclipses, with photos from around the world!
Coffee with David Scruggs, CEO, The Loomis Communities
- Tuesday, July 11, 2017; Coffee with David Scruggs, CEO, The Loomis Communities
- Quarterly chat with David
- Thursday, July 13, 2017; “Gumbo Jazz” with performance by Dixieland Jazz Trio
- On the 13th please join us for our annual Summer Party! - with a Dixieland Jazz trio, Gumbo Jumbo. Brian Bender leads on trombone! Break out your “jazzy” party clothes and enjoy the fun!
- Saturday, July 15, 2017; Ice Cream Social with Richie Mitnick
- On July 15th Richie Mitnick will serenade us with his lively tunes at our monthly Social.
- Monday, July 17, 2017; Lyra Summer Music – classical performance
- On the 17th Lyra Summer Music has chosen to bring their protégés here to Loomis Village! These Classical musicians will be studying intensively with world renown musicians. Our ears and spirits are most grateful!
- Wednesday, July 19, 2017; Summer Cookout
- Summer cookout in the garden and (weather permitting) – enjoy an outdoor grilled lunch with your friends and neighbors.
- Thursday, July 20, 2017; File of Life Workshop – presented by Lisa Ball, Health Services Director
- On the 20th Lisa Ball, RN, will conduct a File of Life workshop. Find out what you should have in your file, why it’s important, and what you need to update!
- Friday, July 21, 2017; Bible Study with Marianne Bishof
- Thursday, July 27, 2017; Getting to Know You Series
- Friday, July 28, 2017; Monthly Resident Birthday Party
- The monthly celebrations of residents’ birthdays.
- Thursday, June 1 2017; The Loomis Communities Annual Spring Reception
Rachel Tierney mobilized The Loomis Communities Community Outreach Committee to involve the South Hadley and Holyoke Councils
on Aging and Senior Centers, faith communities, business leaders, fire, and police, to organize a local ‘Dementia Friendly Communities’initiative.
Thanks to her vision, leadership and active participation, the group has held Communication Tips training for first responders,
bank managers, faith communities and clubs. The Loomis Communities honors Rachel for her lifelong passion of caring for
others including those living with mental illness, dementia or Alzheimer's disease, and their caregivers. Her vision continues
to spark and inspire. Reservation and $35 per person will benefit The Loomis Communities’ skilled nursing centers at Loomis
House and Loomis Lakeside at Reeds Landing.
Honored Guest: Rachel Tierney, PhD, RN, retired psychiatric-mental health Clinical
- Friday, June 2, 2017; Jewelry Beading Class
- Residents gather to partake in a fun beading class. Creative minds and nimble fingers – should be a fun afternoon.
- Monday, June 5, 2017; “Rescue in the Philippines” - introduction by LV resident Jose Pangan
- On the 5th, resident Jose Pangan will introduce the DVD -- Rescue in the Philippines: Refuge from the Holocaust.
This is a documentary on the little known story of how the Philippines allowed 1300 Jews from Germany and Austria to immigrate
to the country to escape almost certain death. "A thorough look at a lesser known chapter in Holocaust-era history." (LA times)
- Tuesday, June 6, 2017; Piano Concert performed by Archie Richards
- On the 6th pianist Archie Richards returns with a classical concert featuring Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata and plenty of Chopin!
- Thursday, June 8, 2017; World Travels, Part 2 - by LV Resident Herb Kaplan
- On June 8th, Resident Herb Kaplan will transport us with his second slide show from photos he’s taken all over the world.
- Thursday, June 8, 2017; “Choir Rehearsal” performed by the First Congregational Church of Amherst” led by Dick Matteson
- On the 8th, the First Congregational Church of Amherst, led by Dick Matteson, will hold an informal Choir Rehearsal at Loomis Village.
All are welcome to attend and join in the singing!
- Friday, June 9, 2017; “Monthly Social” with Richie Mitnick and Ethel Lee
- On June 9th Richie Mitnick & his special guest Ethel Lee serenade us with their lively tunes at our monthly Social.
- Sunday, June 11, 2017; “The History of Howard Johnson’s Restaurants” presented by Anthony Sammarco
- On the 11th, Anthony Sammarco will present “A History of Howard Johnson's: How a Massachusetts Soda Fountain Became an American
- Wednesday, June 14, 2017; “Summer Cookout”
- First cookout of the season (weather permitting) – enjoy an outdoor grilled lunch with your friends and neighbors.
- Thursday, June 15 & 21st, 2017; 25th Anniversary Resident Celebrations
- On June 15th and 21st we celebrate Loomis Village’s 25th Anniversary! A panel discussion on the 15th will include residents reminiscing
about our history, and on the 21st we have a party—with a couple of surprises!
- Friday, June 16, 2017; “Wellness Chat” with Lisa Ball, RN, Health Services Director
- The topic of Dehydration will be discussed.
- Friday, June 16, 2017; “Newcomer’s Social” hosted by the Welcoming Committee
- A warm and welcoming party to celebrate new residents from the past 6 months.
- Sunday, June 18, 2017; Violin Recital performed by students of Rose Lander
- On the 18th Rose Lander’s students will regale us with their violin recital.
- Tuesday, June 20 , 2017; “Tick Talk” presented by Loomis Village resident Win Lavallee
- Resident Entomologist Win Lavallee is giving a Tick Talk on June 20th to update us on the latest findings regarding these pesky,
- Thursday, June 22, 2017; “Getting to Know You Series”
- Friday, June 23, 2017; “Monthly Resident Birthday Party”
- The monthly celebrations of residents’ birthdays.
- Sunday, June 25, 2017; “Wise Guys” directed by Jeff Olmsted
- On the 25th The Wise Guys A cappella Group directed by Jeff Olmsted, sing pop, doo-wop, folk, jazz and gospel– fabulously!
- Tuesday, June 27, 2017; “The Hometown Gallery” performed by the Loomis Village Theater Group
- On the 27th our very own Loomis Village Theater Group will present the efforts of many weeks of rehearsal. This year’s play is
entitled “The Hometown Gallery.” Last year’s performance was a huge success. You won’t want to miss this!
- Wednesday, June 28, 2017; “Brain Healthy Foods” presented by Phyllis Famularo, Sodexho Regional Dietician/Nutrition Manager
- On the 28th Phyllis Famularo, Sodexo Regional Dietitian/Nutrition Manager, will be speaking about Brain Healthy Foods, and will
also provide samplings from the Mindful Menu.
- Friday, May 5, 2017, 2:00pm, Auditorium
- Clarke Hearing Center Presentation
- Friday, May 5, 2017; 5:00pm, Phylly’s
- Kentucky Derby at Friday’s Happy Hour!
- Sunday, May 7, 2017; 2:00 pm; Auditorium
- Tuesday, May 9, 2017; 7:15pm, Auditorium
- Evening Cabaret with Freddie Marion and Dan Kane
- Thursday, May 11, 2017; 2:00pm; Loomis Village Auditorium
- ”What if…?" - series Part 1, presented by Lisa Ball, Health Services Director
- Friday, May 12, 2017; 2:00pm, Loomis Village Auditorium
- “Team Trivia and Mind Aerobics Challenge"
- Wednesday, May 17, 2017; 3:30pm; Loomis Village Auditorium
- “UMASS – Fine Arts Center 2017 – 2018 Preview”
- Thursday, May 18, 2017; 1:30pm; Auditorium
- Wellness Chat presented by Lisa Ball, Health Services Director and Encompass – “Foot Pain & Footwear”
- Friday, May 19, 2017; 2:30pm; Auditorium
- “Monthly Resident Birthday Party”
- Sunday, May 21, 2017; 2:30pm; Auditorium
- Afternoon Concert performed by the Springfield Mandolin Orchestra
- Friday, May 23, 2017; 2:30pm; Auditorium
- “Edible Plants Slide Show” by Blanche Derby
- Friday, May 26, 2017; 2:30pm; Auditorium
- Pat Laskey’s Retirement Party”
- Tuesday, May 30, 2017; 2:30pm; Auditorium
- “Lincoln’s Masks presented by Dorris Volk, LV resident
- Wednesday, May 31, 2017; 10:00am; Auditorium
- “Resident and Staff Wellness Fair”
- Wednesday, May 31, 2017; 1:30am; Auditorium
- “Care Management “ presented by Sharon Connor, MSW, LCSW, Choices Elder Support