Loomis Village Upcoming Events
With so much to do, how do Loomis Village residents stay informed about the day's events? That's easy. Residents simply turn on their televisions to the Loomis Village channel to see today's announcements at Loomis Village.
All activities (unless otherwise noted) take place at:
20 Bayon Drive
South Hadley, MA 01075
Call (413) 588-5102 for more information
Ongoing Fitness and Wellness Programs at Loomis Village
Residents enjoy morning and afternoon group exercises, osteo exercise, tai chi, movement group, swimming aqua classes in our 4-season indoor pool, self-directed workouts in the fitness room and pool, Mind Aerobics, monthly wellness chat with our Health Services Director, Lisa Ball. Keeping our bodies and minds in tune.
Ash Wednesday Service and Ashes, Sister Cathy, All Saints Episcopal Church
- Wednesday, March 1, 2017; Auditorium
- Ash Wednesday Service and Ashes
“Purim Spiel” LGA Players
- Wednesday, March 8, 2017; 1:30 pm; Auditorium
- On the 8th the Sixth Grade students from Lander-Grinspoon Academy will perform an original skit in honor of the Jewish holiday, Purim. This is a tradition called a Purim Spiel which is a take-off on the traditional Purim story with many new and silly twists!
“Dance in the Community” Marilyn Sylla and Smith College Dance Students
- Thursday, March 9, 2017; 9:15 am; Auditorium
- Dance and exercise combined for extra spirit and movement.
“Monthly Social” featuring guitarist Rob Marona
- Friday, March 10, 2017; 2:30pm; Loomis Village Auditorium
- An enjoyable afternoon with music and singing
“The Irish Music Guy”, performance by Kevin Farley
- Saturday, March 11, 2017; 3:30pm, Loomis Village Auditorium
- On March 11th Kevin Farley, “The Irish Music Guy,“ returns for his annual Irish musical showcase! A master of Irish song, wit, and several musical instruments, this is a toe-tapping treat not to be missed!
“River Spinner Weavers”
- Sunday, March 19, 2017; 1:00pm; Loomis Village Auditorium
- On the 19th the River Spinners Guild members return with their spinning wheels and yarn to demonstrate and share their love of this wonderful craft, this time focusing on silk. Come and discuss their craft with these artisans, and bring your own weavings! Resident Linda Gordon will be spinning with her friends.
"Resident Arts and Craft Show”
- Thursday, March 23, 2017; 2:00pm; Auditorium
- On the 23rd, enjoy seeing how talented Loomis Village residents are at our Resident Arts & Craft Show. More than 20 residents will be displaying their creations, including jewelry, ceramics, wood carvings, fabric arts, sculpture, photography, paintings, and several very unique crafts!
“Monthly Resident Birthday Party”
- Friday, March 24, 2017; 2:30pm; Auditorium
- TThe monthly celebrations of residents’ birthdays.
”Galina’s Piano Students’ Concert” – performed by students of Galina Gerstenson
- Sunday, March 26, 2017; 2:30pm; Auditorium
- On the26th Galina Gerstenson brings her accomplished piano students for a recital. A favorite event every year!
“Hearing Loss, Hearing Loops, and How They Function”, presented by The Clarke Hearing Center
- Thursday, March 30, 2017; 2:30pm; Auditorium
- On March 30th an audiologist from the Clarke Hearing Center will do a presentation discussing hearing, hearing loss, hearing loops and how they function.
“Western MA Food Bank” presented by Andrew Morehouse
- Friday, March 31, 2017; 2:30pm; Auditorium
- Discussion regarding our local Food Bank.
Loomis Village Sponsored Trips
March 4, 2017; Saturday, 6:30pm, Springfield Symphony – Irish Tenors
March 5, 2017; Sunday, 1:30pm; Beauty & The Beast – South Hadley High School
March 9, 2017; Thursday, 10:30am; “Spring Pools” – Bulb Show, Mount Holyoke College
March 12, 2017; Sunday, 2:15pm, South Hadley Chorale; Abbey Chapel, Mount Holyoke College
March 14, 2017; Tuesday, 11:00am, “Field of Flowers”; Smith College, Northampton
March 18, 2017; Saturday, 6:30pm, Haydn’s “Nelson Mass” Arcadia Players, Sweeney Concert Hall, Smith College
March 26, 2017; “Ethel”; Sunday, 2:00pm, Valley Classical Concert, Sweeney Hall, Smith College
Museum of the Month
Museum of the Month – On March 21, the Smith College Museum of Art features works seen for the first time outside Italy, and the only exhibition on the East Coast! This groundbreaking show, “Leisure & Luxury in the Age of Nero: The Villas of Oplontis Near Pompeii” centers on the town of Oplontis on the Neapolitan coast, a site that was buried and preserved when Mount Vesuvius erupted in 79 CE. Then enjoy lunch!
Loomis Village Resident Facilitated Events
- The Writer’s Group
- Theater Group
- Omni Book Club
- Poetry Group
- Coloring for Adults
- Loomis Village Chorale Group
- Current Issues
- Saturday Night at the Movies and Sunday Movie and Opera Matinees
- Reading Group
- Bridge and Games
- Social Hour – Tues and Fri
- Better Together Group
Challenging Times Discussion Group - Challenging Times: A Mindful Centered Response: a resident - led gathering “to explore ways to prepare ourselves emotionally and spiritually for our nation’s uncertain future.” A small group of residents who met in December would like to share their group’s reflective experience.
Health, Wellness, and Fitness
Loomis Village has a fully equipped fitness room and a 4 seasons pool.
‘Exercise Class Mondays (DVD), Tuesday, Thursday and Fridays (Facilitated by Brent Cappello) at 9:00 am
‘Osteo Exercise’ Wednesday at 9:30 am – offered by R.S.V.P. volunteers
‘Movement Group’ Monday and Thursday 11:30 m - Performed from a seated position, a great workout for all fitness levels! Facilitated by Brent Cappello.
‘Tai Chi’ Tuesdays; at 11:00am
‘Monthly Wellness Chat’ with Lisa Ball, Health Services Director
‘Caregivers Support Group’ - monthly
‘Aqua Fitness with Brent” Monday 9:00am, and Thursdays at 9:30 am
‘Aqua Walking Group with Brent’ – every Wednesday
‘Fitness Center Orientation’ – every Tuesday 11:00am
‘Mind Aerobics’ – every other Wednesday 1:00pm
‘Fully equipped Fitness Room and 4 season pool’
Art Appreciation Video
- Friday, February 3, 2017; Memorial Celebration
- Residents gather to remember and celebrate the lives of residents who are no longer with us, but remain in our hearts and memories.
- Sunday, February 5, 2017, “Super Bowl Party" GO PATRIOTS !!
- Residents are excited for the Big Game!! Enjoy football at its' best; awesome viewing on our new expanded television and video capabilities.
- Tuesday, February 7, 2017; "American Roots Music" presented by Joel Meginsky, Springfield Symphony, double bassist
- Joel will present a multi-instrumental program of American Roots Music (Gospel, Blues, Swing, Jazz, and Country) including discussion on the varied instruments.
- Thursday, February 9, 2017; "Travels Around the Globe", presented by resident Herbert Kaplan
- An enjoyable slide presentation as he shares his extensive travels around the globe.
- Friday, February 10, 2017; “Monthly Social”
- Wednesday, February 15, "Hymnal Sing-a-long" led by resident CaroleAnn Camp
- Residents will join together and sing some of their favorite hymns with Dick Matteson, accompanist. Prior to this fun gathering, residents are asked to submit favorite songs to be included in this lively sing-a-long.
- Thursday, February 16, 2017; "The Brain Science of Being Energetic" presented by Mary Harrington, Neuropsychology Professor, Smith
- An enlightening and informative lecture.
- Sunday February 19, 2017; “Rose Lander" Violin Students
- Talented violin students return for an afternoon performance.
- Tuesday, February 21, 2017; Show Tunes and Classical Music" performed by Richard Loomis
- Another enjoyable afternoon concert by a talented viola musician.
- Thursday, February 23, 2017; "Getting to Know You" - resident led program
- A favored program as residents gather to "get to know" a couple of their neighbors at Loomis Village.
- Friday, February 24, 2017; “Monthly Resident Birthday Party”
- The monthly celebrations of residents’ birthdays.
- Monday, February 27, 2017; "Can Chocolate Be Part of a Healthy Diet"? presented by Dr. Phyllis Famularo, Sodexo Registered Dietitian
- Dr. Famularo will discuss the health benefits of chocolate and why it can be a part of your daily diet. At the conclusion of the program, there will be a chocolate and wine pairing.
- Tuesday, January 3, 2017; “Origins of the Universe” by Gary Felder, Ph.D., Smith College, Professor of Physics
- Gary Felder will present a variety of problems involving the evolution of the universe from its early state to the way we see it today.
- Tuesday, January 10, 2017; "Jazz infused New Age musical performance” featuring Dan Kennedy
- On the 10th contemplative pianist Dan Kennedy returns and performs Jazz-infused New Age music.
- Tuesday, January 11, 2017; “Newcomer’s Social” – hosted by The Welcoming Committee
- Enjoy our semi-annual welcoming social hosted by the Welcoming Committee members; all residents are encouraged to join in the festivities o welcome the newer residents to Loomis Village. A great way to meet your neighbors, enjoy refreshments and ease the settling in to your new home.
- Friday, January 13, 2017; “Monthly Social” featuring Jonah and Lael Dratfield (grandchildren of resident, Bob Frosch
- On Jan 13th, Bob Frosch’s grandchildren, Jonah Dratfield, returns with his sax-playing sister, Lael! They will be jazzing up our monthly Social!
- Sunday, January 15, 2017; “We Need to Talk About an Injustice” T.E.D talk by Bryan Stevenson, founder and Executive Director of the
Equal Justice Initiative.
- MLK Day-Related Videos: In honor of Martin Luther King Day, here at Loomis Village, on the 14th, the 2016 film “Selma” will be shown, and on the 15th, an 18-minute video T.E.D. Talk by Bryan Stevenson, founder and Executive Director of the Equal Justice Initiative. His talk is entitled “We Need to Talk About an Injustice.” If you are interested, please stay afterwards to discuss the film with other residents.
- Monday, January 16, 2017; “LVRA Annual Meeting”
- Annual meeting of the Loomis Village Resident Association
- Tuesday, January 17, 2017; “Western Massachusetts Food Bank” overview presented by Andrew Morehouse, Director of the Food Bank of Western
- A discussion of their local organziation in operation since 1982. The Food Bank of Western Massachusetts has been feeding our neighbors in need and leading the community to end hunger. They distribute food to our member agencies in Berkshire, Franklin, Hampden and Hampshire counties.
- Thursday, January 19, 2017; “The Well Tempered Ukes”
- The Well Tempered Ukes are Robin Hoffman, Richard Perlmutter, and Marlene Wong, a Western Massachusetts acoustic ukulele trio. Not your usual oldies band, they pluck, strum, and harmonize their way through Renaissance, parlor, pop and art songs -- the great song hits of the last 500 years.
- Thursday, January 20, 2017; ”How to Get Up From a Fall and Falls Prevention” presented by Lisa Ball, RN, Loomis Village Health Services
- On the 20th Lisa Ball will talk about, and demonstrate, How to Get Up From a Fall, and discuss Falls Prevention.
- Wednesday, January 25, 2017; “It’s A Wonderful Life” presented by Joe Liles, son-in-law of LV residents Graham and Linda Gordon
- On the 25th Joe Liles, son-in-law of Linda and Graham Gordon, traces his life journey living with American Indians, becoming a teacher who uses art to help people see the value of cultural traditions and the interconnections of our lives. Visual images, stories, and music will be woven into the presentation.
- Thursday, January 26, 2017; “Getting to Know Your Series” featuring Loomis Village residents
- This month Loomis Village has Landis Markley and Tom Schwab speaking to the group. Should be an enjoyable afternoon.
- Friday, January 27, 2017; “Monthly Resident Birthday Party”
- The monthly celebrations of residents’ birthdays.
- Sunday, January 29, 2017; “Violin Recital” performed by students of Diana Peelle, B.S. in Music and Psychology, M. Ed., Teacher Training
in Suzuki Violin Books 1-6 registered with the Suzuki Association of the Americas, American String Teachers' Association (life
member), Suzuki Association of the Americas (life member), Suzuki MA (member), Co-founder and Co-director of the Western MA Suzuki
- Talented students plan a splendid concert for an enjoyable afternoon.
- Monday, January 30, 2017; “Lander Grinspoon Academy Chorus” led by Felicia Sloin and performed by the academy chorus students
- Talented students -- ready, set, rejoice!
- Sunday, December 4, 2016; “Klezamir!”
- On the 4th, Loomis Village residents will enjoy the return of the Klezamir Band playing upbeat sounds of klezmer, Jewish/Eastern European wedding music adding its own twists as well as a great selection of rock, pop, jazz, swing, classical, country, and Bossa Nova .
- Wednesday, December 6, 2016; “Managing the Holidays When Life Changes” with Rachel Tierney, resident, and Lisa Ball, Health Services
- Anticipating the holidays can be exciting and energizing – but they can also be stressful, particularly when changes occur in our lives. Come to hear and share some ideas for managing the holidays when these changes occur.
- Wednesday, December 7, 2016; “South Hadley Chorale Concert, by the South Hadley Chorale
- Residents will gather for the annual Holiday Concert by the South Hadley Chorale. This wonderful group has long included some of our own residents, and is looked forward to with great enthusiasm and anticipation each year.
- Thursday, December 8, 2016; “Employee Appreciation Celebration”
- Residents plan a wonderful gathering to thank the Loomis Village staff for all the services rendered. It is a fun and social gathering to celebrate together for the holiday season.
- Thursday, December 15, 2016; “Holiday Social, with Dave Colucci
- Celebrate the season with friends and neighbors.
- Friday, December 16, 2016; “Monthly Resident Birthday Party”
- The monthly celebrations of residents’ birthdays.
- Friday, December 16, 2016; “Cub Scout Annual Holiday Singing”
- Christmas Caroling from the local Cub Scout pack.
- Saturday,December 31, 2016; “Puttin’ on the Ritz” music performed by Richie Mitnik, Peter Annone, and Jessie Rive
- Music, song, dance and merriment – NEW YEAR’S EVE PARTY