Loomis Village Upcoming Events
With so much to do, how do Loomis Village residents stay informed about the day's events? That's easy. Residents simply turn on their televisions to the Loomis Village channel to see today's announcements at Loomis Village.
All activities (unless otherwise noted) take place at:
20 Bayon Drive
South Hadley, MA 01075
Call (413) 588-5102 for more information
Ongoing Fitness and Wellness Programs at Loomis Village
Residents enjoy morning and afternoon group exercises, osteo exercise, tai chi, movement group, swimming aqua classes in our 4-season indoor pool, self-directed workouts in the fitness room and pool, Mind Aerobics, monthly wellness chat with our Health Services Director, Lisa Ball. Keeping our bodies and minds in tune.
“The Taste of Loomis” Open House and Art Exhibit
- Saturday, April 29th, 10:00am – 2:30pm
Loomis Village proudly presents its Spring Open House & Art Exhibit. Come visit our lovely retirement community to experience a little taste of Loomis, music provided by harpist, Teresa Mango, community tours including several residences of Loomis Village. In addition, there will be a meet and greet the artist and a chance to experience an exhilarating photography art exhibit. Please RSVP to Denise Beaulieu at 413.588.5102, if you plan to join us. Valet parking will be available on the day of the event.
ART EXHIBIT OPENING, Meet & Greet -- “WHERE LAND MEETS WATER”
presented by Resident Don David The addition of water as an element to a scene creates extra interest and mystery not ordinarily present. In this exhibit, he explores the addition or confluence of water with other elements that enhance the interest and beauty of the scene. The water can be in the form of a liquid, solid, such as snow or ice, or vapor such as fog. In some of the photographs, all three forms are present. The exhibit will run from April 29th until June 30th.
Bamedale Dancers and Drummers
- Sunday, April 2, 2017; 2:00pm, Auditorium
- On the 2nd, the Bamedale West African Dancers & Drummers hail from Africa, the Americas, and the Caribbean. Their collaborations preserve African rooted cultures through dance, music and song.
South Hadley Town Governance, presented by Bob Robertson
- Friday, April 7, 2017; 3:00 pm; Auditorium
- On the 7th, LV resident, Bob Robertson will be speaking about town governance & the upcoming election. Bob has been a South Hadley Town Meeting Member for 49 years (and is running this year). Bring your questions!
Coffee with David Scruggs, CEO, The Loomis Communities
- Tuesday, April 11, 2017; 2:30 pm; Phylly’s Café
- Tuesday, April 11, 2017; 2:30 pm; Phylly’s Café
“Across the America’s” performed by Roger Tincknell
- Friday, April 13, 2017; 2:30pm; Loomis Village Auditorium
- On the 13th Roger Tincknell presents “Songs across America ,“ a musical program that explores America’s rich and diverse heritage from Canada to Chile through song.
“Holocaust Resistors”, presented by Randy Hyvonen
- Wednesday, April 19, 2017; 1:30pm, Loomis Village Auditorium
- On the 19th, Randy Hyvonen presents Memoir: Part II, “From Hitler to the Moon.” He will be discussing significant events & experiences during the 1960's — including life at a competitive college, his time in Germany working with heroes who had resisted Hitler, and returning to the U.S. in time to watch the Apollo 11 blast off to the moon.
“Spring Social” featuring Steve and Tom
- Friday, April 21, 2017; 2:30pm; Loomis Village Auditorium
- An enjoyable afternoon with music and singing.
Galina’s Piano Students’ Concert
- Saturday, April 22, 2017; 2:30pm; Auditorium
- On the 22nd Galina returns with a fresh new crop of piano virtuosos!
“Monthly Resident Birthday Party”
- Friday, Arpil 28, 2017; 2:30pm; Auditorium
- The monthly celebrations of residents’ birthdays.
“Skylarz” performs at Loomis Village. Duet with Sarah Clay and Nick Kaluchis
- Sunday, April 30, 2017; 2:30pm; Auditorium
- Skylarkz performs on the 30th. Skylarkz is a duo, Sarah Clay on vocals and Nick Kaluchis on the instrumentals. Both are accomplished musicians whose notes linger long after they have left the stage.
Loomis Village Sponsored Trips
April 8, 2017; Saturday, 6:30pm, Springfield Symphony – Nights in Spain
April 9, 2017; Sunday, 3:15 pm; University Chorale with Hampshire Young People’s Chorus, Wesley Church, Hadley
April 12, 2017; Wednesday, 6:45pm; Smith Jazz Ensemble – Celebrates Ella’s 100th!
April 18, 2017; Tuesday, 10:00am, Smith College Museum of Art
April 23, 2017; Sunday, 2:00pm, UMass Bach Festival Orchestra & Chorus will be performing Bach’s Mass in B Minor. They will be conducted by widely acclaimed Simon Carrington! Grace Episcopal Church, Amherst
April 25, 2017; Tuesday, 6:30pm, Alvin Ailey, UMASS
April 29, 2017; Saturday, 6:30pm; Springfield Symphony, Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9 – An Ode to Joy.
Museum of the Month
Museum of the Month – On April 3rd, residents embark to Hadley for a visit at the Eric Carle Museum featuring Jason Vieaux. Grammy-winner Jason Vieaux, “among the elite of today's classical guitarists” (Gramophone), is the guitarist that goes beyond the classical. NPR describes Vieaux as, “perhaps the most precise and soulful classical guitarist of his generation.” His most recent solo album, Play, won the 2015 Grammy Award for Best Classical Instrumental Solo. In June 2014, NPR named “Zapateado” from the album as one of its “50 Favorite Songs of 2014 (So Far).”
Loomis Village Resident Facilitated Events
- The Writer’s Group
- Theater Group
- Omni Book Club
- Poetry Group
- Coloring for Adults
- Loomis Village Chorale Group
- Current Issues
- Saturday Night at the Movies and Sunday Movie and Opera Matinees
- Reading Group
- Bridge and Games
- Social Hour – Tues and Fri
- Better Together Group
Challenging Times Discussion Group - Challenging Times: A Mindful Centered Response: a resident - led gathering “to explore ways to prepare ourselves emotionally and spiritually for our nation’s uncertain future.” A small group of residents who met in December would like to share their group’s reflective experience.
Health, Wellness, and Fitness
Loomis Village has a fully equipped fitness room and a 4 seasons pool.
‘Exercise Class Mondays (DVD), Tuesday, Thursday and Fridays (Facilitated by Brent Cappello) at 9:00 am
‘Osteo Exercise’ Wednesday at 9:30 am – offered by R.S.V.P. volunteers
‘Movement Group’ Monday and Thursday 11:30 m - Performed from a seated position, a great workout for all fitness levels! Facilitated by Brent Cappello.
‘Tai Chi’ Tuesdays; at 11:00am
‘Monthly Wellness Chat’ with Lisa Ball, Health Services Director
‘Caregivers Support Group’ - monthly
‘Aqua Fitness with Brent” Monday 9:00am, and Thursdays at 9:30 am
‘Aqua Walking Group with Brent’ – every Wednesday
‘Fitness Center Orientation’ – every Tuesday 11:00am
‘Mind Aerobics’ – every other Wednesday 1:00pm
‘Fully equipped Fitness Room and 4 season pool’
Art Appreciation Video
- Wednesday, March 1, 2017; Ash Wednesday Service and Ashes, Sister Cathy, All Saints Episcopal Church
- Ash Wednesday Service and Ashes
- Wednesday, March 8, 2017; “Purim Spiel” LGA Players
- On the 8th the Sixth Grade students from Lander-Grinspoon Academy will perform an original skit in honor of the Jewish holiday, Purim. This is a tradition called a Purim Spiel which is a take-off on the traditional Purim story with many new and silly twists!
- Thursday, March 9, 2017; “Dance in the Community” Marilyn Sylla and Smith College Dance Students
- Dance and exercise combined for extra spirit and movement.
- Friday, March 10, 2017; “Monthly Social” featuring guitarist Rob Marona
- An enjoyable afternoon with music and singing
- Saturday, March 11, 2017; “The Irish Music Guy”, performance by Kevin Farley
- On March 11th Kevin Farley, “The Irish Music Guy,“ returns for his annual Irish musical showcase! A master of Irish song, wit, and several musical instruments, this is a toe-tapping treat not to be missed!
- Sunday, March 19, 2017; “River Spinner Weavers”
- On the 19th the River Spinners Guild members return with their spinning wheels and yarn to demonstrate and share their love of this wonderful craft, this time focusing on silk. Come and discuss their craft with these artisans, and bring your own weavings! Resident Linda Gordon will be spinning with her friends.
- Thursday, March 23, 2017; "Resident Arts and Craft Show”
- On the 23rd, enjoy seeing how talented Loomis Village residents are at our Resident Arts & Craft Show. More than 20 residents will be displaying their creations, including jewelry, ceramics, wood carvings, fabric arts, sculpture, photography, paintings, and several very unique crafts!
- Friday, March 24, 2017; “Monthly Resident Birthday Party”
- TThe monthly celebrations of residents’ birthdays.
- Sunday, March 26, 2017; ”Galina’s Piano Students’ Concert” – performed by students of Galina Gerstenson
- On the26th Galina Gerstenson brings her accomplished piano students for a recital. A favorite event every year!
- Thursday, March 30, 2017; “Hearing Loss, Hearing Loops, and How They Function”, presented by The Clarke Hearing Center
- On March 30th an audiologist from the Clarke Hearing Center will do a presentation discussing hearing, hearing loss, hearing loops and how they function.
- Friday, March 31, 2017; “Western MA Food Bank” presented by Andrew Morehouse
- Discussion regarding our local Food Bank.
- Friday, February 3, 2017; Memorial Celebration
- Residents gather to remember and celebrate the lives of residents who are no longer with us, but remain in our hearts and memories.
- Sunday, February 5, 2017, “Super Bowl Party" GO PATRIOTS !!
- Residents are excited for the Big Game!! Enjoy football at its' best; awesome viewing on our new expanded television and video capabilities.
- Tuesday, February 7, 2017; "American Roots Music" presented by Joel Meginsky, Springfield Symphony, double bassist
- Joel will present a multi-instrumental program of American Roots Music (Gospel, Blues, Swing, Jazz, and Country) including discussion on the varied instruments.
- Thursday, February 9, 2017; "Travels Around the Globe", presented by resident Herbert Kaplan
- An enjoyable slide presentation as he shares his extensive travels around the globe.
- Friday, February 10, 2017; “Monthly Social”
- Wednesday, February 15, "Hymnal Sing-a-long" led by resident CaroleAnn Camp
- Residents will join together and sing some of their favorite hymns with Dick Matteson, accompanist. Prior to this fun gathering, residents are asked to submit favorite songs to be included in this lively sing-a-long.
- Thursday, February 16, 2017; "The Brain Science of Being Energetic" presented by Mary Harrington, Neuropsychology Professor, Smith College
- An enlightening and informative lecture.
- Sunday February 19, 2017; “Rose Lander" Violin Students
- Talented violin students return for an afternoon performance.
- Tuesday, February 21, 2017; Show Tunes and Classical Music" performed by Richard Loomis
- Another enjoyable afternoon concert by a talented viola musician.
- Thursday, February 23, 2017; "Getting to Know You" - resident led program
- A favored program as residents gather to "get to know" a couple of their neighbors at Loomis Village.
- Friday, February 24, 2017; “Monthly Resident Birthday Party”
- The monthly celebrations of residents’ birthdays.
- Monday, February 27, 2017; "Can Chocolate Be Part of a Healthy Diet"? presented by Dr. Phyllis Famularo, Sodexo Registered Dietitian
- Dr. Famularo will discuss the health benefits of chocolate and why it can be a part of your daily diet. At the conclusion of the program, there will be a chocolate and wine pairing.
- Tuesday, January 3, 2017; “Origins of the Universe” by Gary Felder, Ph.D., Smith College, Professor of Physics
- Gary Felder will present a variety of problems involving the evolution of the universe from its early state to the way we see it today.
- Tuesday, January 10, 2017; "Jazz infused New Age musical performance” featuring Dan Kennedy
- On the 10th contemplative pianist Dan Kennedy returns and performs Jazz-infused New Age music.
- Tuesday, January 11, 2017; “Newcomer’s Social” – hosted by The Welcoming Committee
- Enjoy our semi-annual welcoming social hosted by the Welcoming Committee members; all residents are encouraged to join in the festivities o welcome the newer residents to Loomis Village. A great way to meet your neighbors, enjoy refreshments and ease the settling in to your new home.
- Friday, January 13, 2017; “Monthly Social” featuring Jonah and Lael Dratfield (grandchildren of resident, Bob Frosch
- On Jan 13th, Bob Frosch’s grandchildren, Jonah Dratfield, returns with his sax-playing sister, Lael! They will be jazzing up our monthly Social!
- Sunday, January 15, 2017; “We Need to Talk About an Injustice” T.E.D talk by Bryan Stevenson, founder and Executive Director of the Equal
- MLK Day-Related Videos: In honor of Martin Luther King Day, here at Loomis Village, on the 14th, the 2016 film “Selma” will be shown, and on the 15th, an 18-minute video T.E.D. Talk by Bryan Stevenson, founder and Executive Director of the Equal Justice Initiative. His talk is entitled “We Need to Talk About an Injustice.” If you are interested, please stay afterwards to discuss the film with other residents.
- Monday, January 16, 2017; “LVRA Annual Meeting”
- Annual meeting of the Loomis Village Resident Association
- Tuesday, January 17, 2017; “Western Massachusetts Food Bank” overview presented by Andrew Morehouse, Director of the Food Bank of Western
- A discussion of their local organziation in operation since 1982. The Food Bank of Western Massachusetts has been feeding our neighbors in need and leading the community to end hunger. They distribute food to our member agencies in Berkshire, Franklin, Hampden and Hampshire counties.
- Thursday, January 19, 2017; “The Well Tempered Ukes”
- The Well Tempered Ukes are Robin Hoffman, Richard Perlmutter, and Marlene Wong, a Western Massachusetts acoustic ukulele trio. Not your usual oldies band, they pluck, strum, and harmonize their way through Renaissance, parlor, pop and art songs -- the great song hits of the last 500 years.
- Thursday, January 20, 2017; ”How to Get Up From a Fall and Falls Prevention” presented by Lisa Ball, RN, Loomis Village Health Services
- On the 20th Lisa Ball will talk about, and demonstrate, How to Get Up From a Fall, and discuss Falls Prevention.
- Wednesday, January 25, 2017; “It’s A Wonderful Life” presented by Joe Liles, son-in-law of LV residents Graham and Linda Gordon
- On the 25th Joe Liles, son-in-law of Linda and Graham Gordon, traces his life journey living with American Indians, becoming a teacher who uses art to help people see the value of cultural traditions and the interconnections of our lives. Visual images, stories, and music will be woven into the presentation.
- Thursday, January 26, 2017; “Getting to Know Your Series” featuring Loomis Village residents
- This month Loomis Village has Landis Markley and Tom Schwab speaking to the group. Should be an enjoyable afternoon.
- Friday, January 27, 2017; “Monthly Resident Birthday Party”
- The monthly celebrations of residents’ birthdays.
- Sunday, January 29, 2017; “Violin Recital” performed by students of Diana Peelle, B.S. in Music and Psychology, M. Ed., Teacher Training
in Suzuki Violin Books 1-6 registered with the Suzuki Association of the Americas, American String Teachers' Association (life member),
Suzuki Association of the Americas (life member), Suzuki MA (member), Co-founder and Co-director of the Western MA Suzuki Association
- Talented students plan a splendid concert for an enjoyable afternoon.
- Monday, January 30, 2017; “Lander Grinspoon Academy Chorus” led by Felicia Sloin and performed by the academy chorus students
- Talented students -- ready, set, rejoice!