With the goal of having The Loomis Communities be an integral part of life in the Pioneer Valley, a Community Outreach Committee comprised of staff and residents, is delighted to report the following activities during 2014:
- Valentine’s Cookie Sales were held in conjunction with food drives that raised $1,776 and 400 pounds of food for area food pantries; the Amherst Survival Center, Kate’s Kitchen, Holyoke, Neighbors Helping Neighbors, South Hadley, and Open Pantry, Springfield.
- Contributions, sponsorship, a wine tasting, blueberry muffin, candy, cookie and t-shirt sales, paint social art nights, and a car wash all raised $9,605 for the Alzheimer’s Association Memory Walk.
- Events, raffles and payroll contributions brought $6,031 to the United Way of Pioneer Valley.
- Five College Learning in Retirement and Springfield College Learning in Later Life held courses at our campuses throughout the year.
- Springfield Women’s Club and Springfield Photo Club held meetings at Loomis Lakeside at Reeds Landing.
- Twenty eight free talks and performances at our campuses were opened to the public.
- One hundred ninety six pairs of new socks were collected and contributed to the Highland Valley Elder Services and the Holyoke Soldier’s Home.
- Two public viewings and film discussions were held of A Place at the Table, a film about hunger in the United States.
- Loomis House hosted a blood drive for the American Red Cross.
- Used furniture and equipment was donated to the Holyoke Council on Aging, EcoBuilding Bargains and The Salvation Army.
- Applewood residents stuffed packets and mailings for Amherst Survival Center.
- Applewood residents held a voter registration event.
- Loomis Village residents knitted 105 hats for area children and 122 blankets, 8 sweaters for premature babies.
- The Loomis Village bus was used to transport Mount Holyoke College alumnae on reunion weekend.
- Hundreds of pounds of gently used clothing, blankets and household items were donated to Amherst Bangs Center, Amherst Survival Center, Cooley Dickinson Hospital, Goodwill Industries, Hospice Shop of the Hospice Fisher Home, Providence Ministries for the Needy, Salvation Army.
- Residents and staff members wrapped packages for a full day to benefit the Holyoke Hospice Life Care and VNA.
In addition, the Marketing Department provided over $30,000 in sponsorships for numerous events offered by cultural and nonprofit organizations, including:
- Amherst Community Theater
- Arcadia Players, Baystate Medical Golf Tournament
- Community Involved in Sustaining Agriculture (CISA)
- FallsFest Music and Arts Festival
- Festival of Lights at Tower Square
- Friends of Amherst Senior Center
- Holyoke Council on Aging
- Holyoke High School Musical
- Holyoke Hospice Life Care and V.N.A., Holyoke Medical Center
- Holyoke Rotary Club Summer Concert Series
- Holyoke St. Patrick’s Day Parade
- Holyoke YMCA
- Jazz Ensemble of Mount Holyoke College, Jones Library
- Ko Festival
- Majestic Theater
- Music in Deerfield
- New Century Theatre
- Old Post Orchestra
- Pines Theatre Concerts
- Pioneer Valley Symphony Orchestra
- South Hadley Chorale
- South Hadley Council on Aging
- Springfield Public Forum
- Springfield Symphony Orchestra
- UMass Dept. of Music and Dance
- UMass Fine Arts Center
- Young at Heart Chorus
- Women in Philanthropy of Western MA
- Women’s Fund of Western MA.
In all, nearly $50,000 in cash and hundreds of volunteer hours by The Loomis Communities’ staff and residents were dedicated to support people and non-profit organizations in the Pioneer Valley and beyond!
Committee Members: Rob Claflin, Louise Bevan-Cole, Carol Constant, Tina Ferri, Jean Fusini, Norman Grandbois, Jill Jensen, Betty Odell, Kelley Murphy, Don Owsiak, Diane Reynolds, Charlotte Rockland, Elwin Sanborn and Christine Westerholm
About The Loomis Communities:
The Loomis Communities has been a visionary in exceptional senior living throughout the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts. It was the first organization in the state to open a continuing care retirement community.
With a mission of enriching the lives of older adults, The Loomis Communities offers independent living apartments and cottages, assisted living and skilled nursing care on three campuses in the Pioneer Valley: Applewood in Amherst, Loomis Lakeside at Reeds Landing in Springfield, and Loomis Village in South Hadley.
For more information, call us at the number in the upper right of this webpage or send us a note through our Contact Us form.