With so much to do, how do Loomis Village residents stay informed about the day's events? That's easy. Residents simply turn on their televisions
to the Loomis Village channel to see today's announcements at Loomis Village.
All activities (unless otherwise noted) take place at:
20 Bayon Drive
South Hadley, MA 01075
Call (413) 588-5102 for more information
Ongoing Fitness and Wellness Programs at Loomis Village
Residents enjoy morning and afternoon group exercises, osteo exercise, tai chi, movement group, swimming aqua classes in our 4-season indoor pool,
self-directed workouts in the fitness room and pool, Mind Aerobics, monthly wellness chat with our Health Services Director, Lisa Ball. Keeping
our bodies and minds in tune.
October 2017 Highlights
The Art of Andean Textiles
- Tuesday, October 3, 2017 2:00pm
- LV resident, Linda Gordon, shares her knowledge and stories through slides and lecture about her annual journeys to Cuzco, Peru where
she learned the art of weaving directly from local weavers.
“Rescue in the Philippines” presented by Dr. Jose Pangan, LV resident
- Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 2:00pm, Auditorium
- “The moral courage of an influential few in the Philippines saved the lives of 1,300 Jewish men, women, and children in Nazi Europe
in the days leading to World War II.” Loomis Village resident, Jose Pangan presents an encore showing of “Rescue in the Philippines,”
acclaimed documentary about humanitarian efforts during the war.
Musical Venue featuring local talent pianist, Allen Bonde
- Sunday, October 15, 2017 2:00pm, Auditorium
“Interfaith Opportunities Network - Peacemaking”
- Wednesday, October 18, 2017 2:30pm, Auditorium
- How do different faiths approach peacemaking during these tumultuous times? Learn more from a panel of lay persons as they share different perspectives on pursuing justice with loving kindness.
“Boom and Bust Musical Tour”
- Tuesday, October 24, 2017 2:00pm, Auditorium
- Enjoy an afternoon of engaging songs and skits from the 1920’s and 1930’s with the Berklee School of Music trained duo, Doug Schmalze and Janet McKinstry.
“Piano Concert” performed by Judith Gordon, Music Professor, Smith College
- Tuesday, October 29, 2017 2:00pm, Auditorium
- Loomis Village welcomes Professor Gordon, whose career highlights includes Metropolitan Museum of Art Recital debut and soloist with the Boston Pops Orchestra. She continues to perform in a variety of venues with a broad range of musicians.
Loomis Village Sponsored Trips
Sat. Oct. 7—ACE Awards, Amherst
Sun. Oct. 8—Art in the Orchard, Easthampton
Thu. Oct. 12– Dining Out– Tavern on the Hill,
Sat. Oct. 14—Springfield Symphony
Thu. Oct 19—Museum Contemporary Art, N. Adams
Sat. Oct. 21—Valley Classical/Apple Hill String Quartet, Northampton
Sun. Oct. 22—Arcadia Players, Amherst
Wed. Oct. 25—Springfield Public Forum
Loomis Village Resident Facilitated Events
- The Writer’s Group
- Theater Group
- Poetry Group
- Loomis Village Chorale Group
- Current Issues
- Bridge and Games
- Omni Book Club
- Better Together Group
- Play Reading Group
- Week-end Movies
- Opera Matinees
Challenging Times Discussion Group - Challenging Times: A Mindful Centered Response: resident - led gathering “to explore ways to prepare ourselves emotionally and spiritually for our nation’s uncertain future.” Loomis Village residents meet regularly to share their group’s reflective experience.
Fitness and Wellness Programs
- Exercise Classes and Osteo Exercise offered by trained instructors
- Movement Group
- Tai Chi
- Meditation Group
- Caregivers Support Group
- Parkinson’s Support Group
- Aqua Fitness
- Aqua Walking Group
- Fitness Center Orientation
- Mind Aerobics
- Fully equipped Fitness Room and 4 season pool
- Art Appreciation Video
- Hymnal Singing Group
- The Loomis Village Chorale Group
- Resident Theater Group - seasonal
- Monthly wellness topics
September 2017 Highlights
- Friday, September 15, 2017, “The Geo-Political Stage” presented by Professor Vincent Ferraro, Ph.D., Mount Holyoke College
A familiar presenter at Loomis Village, Professor Ferraro will share his perspectives on the geo-political stage. Sure to be a thought provoking afternoon
- Sunday, September 24, 2017 Musical Venue featuring local talent guitarist, Robby Roiter and vocalist and songwriter, Kimaya Diggs
- Robby Roiter is a Pioneer Valley based musician whose passion for guitar often finds him playing jazz, funk and blues. Kimaya Diggs,
Northampton based vocalist and songwriter, joins Mr. Roiter as they belt out familiar and original compositions. A great way to
enjoy an autumn afternoon.
- Tuesday, September 26, 2017 “Lake Hitchcock— “New England’s Greatest Glacial Lake” Or is it? Presented by Associated Professor Carsten Braun,
Westfield State University
- Curious about the glacial lake that formed 15,000 years ago? Carsten Braun, Associate Professor Geography and Regional Planning Environmental
Science, at Westfield State University, will share his knowledge about the Connecticut Valley’s ancient lake.
August 2017 Highlights
- Thursday, August 3, 2017, “Journeys from Rwanda to UMASS” presented by Favorite Iradukunda, Nursing Ph.D. candidate Fourth of July
On the 3rd, Favorite Iradukunda, Nursing PhD candidate from Rwanda, is the second speaker in our series “Journeys from Africa to UMASS,” coordinated by
- “Ice Cream Social” with Laurie Festa
- Neighbors and friends gather for a leisurely afternoon social with music and refreshments.
- Tuesday, August 8, 2017; “Musical program” featuring Rodgers and Hammerstein performed by Carol Wrobleski and guitarist Zack Danziger
- On the 8th guitarist Zack Danziger and vocalist Carol Wrobleski will entertain us with the music of Rodgers and Hammerstein.
- Thursday, August 10, 2017; “Celtic Christianity” Pilgrimage by Reverend Tanya Wallace
- On the 10th Rev. Tanya Wallace, Rector at All Saints' Episcopal Church, will present her slide show exploring her “Celtic Christianity”
pilgrimage through Northern Europe during her Sabbatical year.
- Friday, August 11, 2017; The Loomis Village -- Annual Lobsterfest
- Residents, families, wait list members, and guests gather for a festive and enjoyable evening of delicious classic New England cuisine
prepared by Executive Chef Lynanne Pease and her talented staff .
- Tuesday, August 22 , 2017, “Journeys from Rwanda to UMASS” presented byKorka Sall, in Literature, Ph.D. candidate
- On the 22nd, Korka Sall, PhD candidate in Literature from Rwanda, is the final speaker in our series “Journeys from Africa to UMASS,”
coordinated by Rachel Tierney.
- Wednesday, August 23, 2017; “Summer Cookout”
- Grillin’ in the Garden, outdoor lunch in the garden.
- Thursday, August 24, 2017; “Getting to Know You Series”
- Friday, August 25, 2017; Monthly Resident Birthday Party” with Melita Brown
- The monthly celebrations of residents’ birthdays with a musical performance.
- Tuesday, August 29, 2017; “Olde World Café” performed by the Third String Trio
- On the 29th we are honored to welcome back The Third String Trio. These accomplished musicians all play other instruments professionally.
Old World Café music is their outlet for play! Accordion, guitar, and mandolin are among the instruments you can expect to hear
at this delightful performance.
- Thursday, July 6, 2017, Journeys from Africa to UMASS” presented by Nellie Mchenga, Ph.D.
On July 6 Nellie Mchenga, a nursing PHD candidate from Malawi, is the first speaker in our series “Journeys from Africa to UMASS,” coordinated by Rachel
- Friday, July, 7, 2017; Cello Concert” with vocal accompaniment”, performed by cellist Ignacy Gaydamovich and his parents
- On July 7th Loomis favorite, cellist, Ignacy Gaydamovich returns with a Romantic recital featuring his father on piano, and his mother
performing vocals. You will not want to miss this! .
- Monday, July 10, 2017; Eclipses” presented by Professor Stephen Schneider, UMASS, Dept. of Astronomy
- On the 10th UMASS Astronomy Professor Stephen Schneider will present a slide show and talk on Eclipses, with photos from around the
Coffee with David Scruggs, CEO, The Loomis Communities
- Tuesday, July 11, 2017; Coffee with David Scruggs, CEO, The Loomis Communities
- Quarterly chat with David
- Thursday, July 13, 2017; “Gumbo Jazz” with performance by Dixieland Jazz Trio
- On the 13th please join us for our annual Summer Party! - with a Dixieland Jazz trio, Gumbo Jumbo. Brian Bender leads on trombone!
Break out your “jazzy” party clothes and enjoy the fun!
- Saturday, July 15, 2017; Ice Cream Social with Richie Mitnick
- On July 15th Richie Mitnick will serenade us with his lively tunes at our monthly Social.
- Monday, July 17, 2017; Lyra Summer Music – classical performance
- On the 17th Lyra Summer Music has chosen to bring their protégés here to Loomis Village! These Classical musicians will be studying
intensively with world renown musicians. Our ears and spirits are most grateful!
- Wednesday, July 19, 2017; Summer Cookout
- Summer cookout in the garden and (weather permitting) – enjoy an outdoor grilled lunch with your friends and neighbors.
- Thursday, July 20, 2017; File of Life Workshop – presented by Lisa Ball, Health Services Director
- On the 20th Lisa Ball, RN, will conduct a File of Life workshop. Find out what you should have in your file, why it’s important, and
what you need to update!
- Friday, July 21, 2017; Bible Study with Marianne Bishof
- Thursday, July 27, 2017; Getting to Know You Series
- Friday, July 28, 2017; Monthly Resident Birthday Party
- The monthly celebrations of residents’ birthdays.