It was 1890 when a group of women in Holyoke worked to shine a light on the lack of permanent housing options for their older friends and neighbors. The attention sparked a movement in the community to offer a stable and comfortable home for aged people.
As a result, The Holyoke Home for Aged People opened in March 1911, on two acres of land donated by William Loomis. In 1969, the name of the organization was changed to Loomis House.
In 1981, the building was sold, and residents moved to Jarvis Avenue in Holyoke, where the organization built the first continuing care retirement community in Massachusetts.
Then, in 1988, the group acquired a 27-acre Christmas tree farm four miles away in South Hadley. That property became Loomis Village, developed in phases that opened in 1992, 1996 and 2004 and features villas, cottages, independent living apartments and assisted living apartments.
In 1999, The Loomis Communities welcomed Applewood, a nonprofit community located among apple orchards in South Amherst, offering 103 independent living apartments.
The largest of our three campuses, Loomis Lakeside at Reeds Landing in Springfield was acquired in 2009 and became the newest member of The Loomis Communities family. Originally developed and opened in 1995, this continuing care retirement community offers independent living apartments and cottages, assisted living, and skilled nursing services all under one roof.